The candidates and the issues

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton, D, is a former New York senator and secretary of state under President Barack Obama. She is pro-abortion rights, but believes that abortion should be rare and that there need to be other options for women who are faced with unplanned pregnancies.  At a primary debate in Iowa in November 2015, Clinton said that Wall Street needs to be reformed, and that “we have to go after what is called the shadow banking industry;” primarily hedge funds and insurance companies.  Clinton thinks community college should be tuition-free; she also thinks public colleges and universities should be debt-free. When it comes to climate change and the environment, Clinton has said that the U.S. must combat climate change and create more clean energy jobs.

Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders, I-Vt, has been a lifelong supporter of women’s reproductive issues, earning a 100 percent rating from the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League for his pro-abortion rights voting record. The senator has called for a modern Glass-Steagall Act type of  legislation, which would better regulate Wall Street and big banks.  Sanders thinks that public colleges and universities should be tuition free for all citizens and should be payed for by a tax on Wall Street speculation. He received a 90 percent rating from the League of Conservative voters for his pro-environment voting record.  Sanders supports the idea that climate change is creating a international security crisis.

Donald Trump

Donald Trump, R, was pro-abortion up until 2011, when he changed policy to being anti-abortion.  Trump has said that Planned Parenthood has helped millions of women, but as president, he would defund it. The real estate mogul has pledged to bring back jobs from overseas and drastically cut funding to the Department of Education and the Environmental Protection Agency.  When it comes to higher education, Trump thinks the federal government shouldn’t be profiting from student loans and that steps need be taken to to help students with their debt. Trump said in a tweet on November 6, 2012, that climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese to suppress the U.S. economy.

California’s primary will be held June 7. To find your polling place, click here.

*This article is the last of a weekly series informing students of where candidates stand on the issues for the 2016 presidential elections.

**All information comes from Ontheissues.org, a nonprofit that keeps track of candidate voting records and public statements.