Senate Democrats Filibuster For Gun Control

Senate Democrats, alongside a few Republicans, have launched a filibuster on gun control legislation led by Sen. Christopher S. Murphy.

Murphy, a senator from Connecticut, started the filibuster Wednesday morning by saying he will stand on the floor until Republicans and Democrats come together on the issue of gun control legislation.

“I am prepared to stand on the Senate floor and talk about the need to prevent gun violence for as long as I can. I’ve had #Enough,” Murphy tweeted Wednesday morning.

The filibuster continued into Wednesday evening with no resolution in sight, according to Politico, a media group group that focuses on politics.

Joined by Democratic colleagues, Murphy has been advocating that the Senate vote on a measure which would prohibit persons on the no-fly list from purchasing weapons.

The filibuster for gun control is the result of the Orlando mass shooting, which left 49 people dead and 53 injured.

During his filibuster, Murphy said the the story of Omar Mateen, the alleged Orlando shooter, is not just the story of radicalization, but the story of an ill and confused man.

Sen. Bill Nelson, D-FL, said that the recent shooting would not have happened if Congress hadn’t let the Assault Weapons Ban expire in 2004.

Murphy made gun control legislation his top priority after the Sandy Hook shooting in Newtown, Conn., in 2012.

Since the Sandy Hook shooting, he said that despite polls showing Americans are in favor of stricter gun legislation, nothing has been done and he’s had enough.

“Together, we are proving that our voices are the voices of the vast majority of Americans who want action,” tweeted @SenateDems, a twitter account run by leadership staff of Senate Democrats.

Murphy said that he believes that Republicans and Democrats can come together on the issue and find a solution.