Republican National Convention: An Overview

The Republican National Convention convened this week as Donald Trump took center stage in Cleveland, Ohio to claim the Republican nomination.

“We’re gonna win so big, ” Trump said to the crowd. “We’re gonna win so big.”

The four day long convention brought droves of Trump supporters and protesters alike. Trump himself appeared both in person on Monday and virtually on Tuesday as he was named the 2016 GOP presidential nominee.

Central themes of the convention focused on not only how to make America great again, but how to make it safe as well as how to put the country back to work.

Before introducing his wife, Melania, Trump reaffirmed his unshakeable belief in himself and then let her take the stage.

Melania delivered her speech to the audience but was quickly placed under fire by critics after being accused of plagiarizing Michelle Obama’s 2008 speech during the democratic convention.

Trump’s children also made appearances and delivered speeches that aimed to show a different side of him.

Donald Trump, Jr. touted his father as champion of the people who saw potential in all.

Trump’s daughter Tiffany, described her father as “a natural born encourager” and “the last person ever to tell you to lower your sights.”

On July 20, Mike Pence was officially announced as Trump’s running mate, while Trump’s former competition Sen. Ted Cruz and Ben Carson spoke at the convention, keeping with the theme of making America “first” again.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani criticized President Barack Obama and the media’s coverage of Trump.

“What happened to ‘there’s no white America, there’s no black America, there’s just one America?’ What happened to it?” Giuliani said.

The convention also focused on Trump’s Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, whom Gov. Chris Christie criticized on Tuesday – leading the house floor to chants of “lock her up” and “guilty” in regards to the Benghazi attack.

Other criticisms of Clinton came from survivors and family members who lost a loved one in the attack.

One speaker, Patricia Smith, described her frustrations when talking to Clinton following the events of the attack, and questioned if Clinton intentionally lied to her.

“For all of this loss, for all of this grief, for all of the cynicism the tragedy in Benghazi has wrought upon America, I blame Hillary Clinton,” Smith said.  “I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son.”

Along with condemning the Democratic nominee, other speakers touted Trump’s leadership quality and with the need to unite the country.

House speaker Paul Ryan, Gov. Chris Christie, Rep. Kevin McCarthy and Sen. Mitch McConnell, all of whom called for party unity, endorsed Trump at the convention.

Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke, Jr. condemned the recent attacks on police officers around the country and was extremely critical of groups like Black Lives Matter, which he compared an anarchist group.

“Let me make one thing clear, blue lives matter!” Clarke said. “Trump understands the defense of a police officer and the need to be treated respectfully by law enforcement.  Trump’s steadfast leadership is what our nation needs.”

The convention concludes on Thursday, when former Rep. Newt Gingrich and Trump’s son Eric will speak before Pence offers closing remarks.