Board of Trustees approve 5 percent tuition increase

Students, faculty and activists protest outside the Chancellor’s office during vote.

Students+chant+%22the+more+we+pay%2C+the+longer+we+stay%21%22+outside+the+Chancellor%27s+office+during+Wednesday%27s+Board+of+Trustees+meeting.+
Students chant

Students chant "the more we pay, the longer we stay!" outside the Chancellor's office during Wednesday's Board of Trustees meeting.

Matthew Teel

Matthew Teel

Miranda Andrade-Ceja, Managing Editor

For the first time in six years, California State University students will see a tuition increase of 5 percent, or $270 annually, as voted on today by the Board of Trustees during their meeting in downtown Long Beach.

It was approved with an 11-8 vote while over 100 CSU faculty, students and community members protested outside Chancellor Timothy White’s office, shouting out chants such as: “No justice, no peace! No tuition increase!” while beating drums, sounding noise-makers and reciting testimonials.

The CSU issued a statement to media discussing the necessity of this increase, which will be instituted fall 2017 and impact undergraduate, non-residents and graduate students as well as those in doctoral and teacher credential programs.

“The university faces a critical juncture where additional revenue is needed if we are to continue the trajectory that has seen campuses reach all-time highs in graduation rates,” said Steve Relyea, CSU executive vice chancellor and chief financial officer in the statement. “This is not a course of action that is taken lightly. Through the university’s robust financial aid program we will ensure that students who require the most financial assistance will not face any additional burden associated with the tuition increase.”