Eco-friendly changes are coming to Long Beach Transit

Be careful to not miss the bus, because it’ll be harder to hear it coming around the corner.

At the end of March, Long Beach Transit began to release new electrically powered buses as part of their initiative to use alternative fuels to run their buses. Three of these buses are already serving the downtown Passport routes that travel around places such as Shoreline Village, the Pike and the Long Beach Convention Center. Seven more are set to be released later this year, according to a LBT press release.

This is in effort to use a combination of battery electric and compressed natural gas (CNG) powered buses to ultimately have a 100 percent alternatively fueled transit system by 2020, according to a LBT press release.

The new buses are helping to reduce the city’s overall carbon footprint, according to Kevin Lee, LBT’s Public Information Officer.

“These battery electric buses are doing much more than just helping people get from point A to point B. They are creating an influence for other cities to get on the same initiative and look for other forms of fuel to power their public transportation,” said Lee.

Earlier this year, the Los Angeles Department of Transportation released four electric buses called DASH that run in and around LA’s Arts District and downtown LA Foothill Transit, which serves east LA county. LADOT was one of the first transportation agencies to debut electric buses and is continuing to become fully electric dependent by 2030, according to its official website.

The new electric LBT buses come with new features that distinguish them from their old ones. On the outside of the new buses, the design is similar to any other LBT red bus with large dark windows. But one detail that is different are white and yellow flowers on the sides. The electric bus is almost silent compared to gas fueled buses. On a regular LBT bus, the rattling sound of the engine or the push of air from the air conditioner can be heard. Only the sound of the new bus approaching a stop could be specified. The usual roar of a departing bus was nonexistent as it made a subtle exit to the street.

People board a LBT bus 26 million times throughout the year, according to its website. Serving Long Beach and surrounding areas like Lakewood, Signal Hill and others, those tall red buses are recognizable anywhere.

Cal State Long Beach students are also welcome to take a ride, free of charge, with their TAP cards. Emily Zarava, a first year psychology student, commutes to campus every day on the bus. She says it’s a convenience to be able to ride the bus for free and not have to pay the $1.25 fee. When asked about the new electric buses, Zarava said she hopes they are able to go through the CSULB campus routes in the future.

“It’s a really good idea and I’m proud that Long Beach is doing it. A lot of people ride the bus and [the new buses] will help the environment at the same time,” Zarava said.