Can you beat the heat?

Heat wave gets in the way of midterms.

Under a shady tree in the quad, one student juggles as two other students watch on.

Hunter Lee | Daily 49er

Hunter Lee | Daily 49er

Hunter Lee | Daily 49er

Students scurried from the parking lots to their classrooms this week, shielding themselves with hats and “sunbrellas” from torrid triple digit weather.

As Cal State Long Beach experienced a scorching heat wave on Monday and Tuesday, students took shelter in air conditioned buildings and campus shuttles. A red flag warning was put into effect by the National Weather Service and will continue into Wednesday evening.

According to the service, some areas of Long Beach reached temperatures as high as 104 degrees, breaking a 1965 heat record for the city, as reported by the Long Beach Press Telegram.

With many students scheduled to take midterms this week, the heat was an added stressor as some had to make the long trek across campus.

“The heat just makes me sweaty when I’m walking to class,” said Santiago Vega, a fourth year english major. “It makes me less prepared, I look like a mess. I usually keep a case of water in my trunk to be prepared.”

Following Monday’s temperature in the high 90s, Tuesday brought in Santa Ana winds in addition to 103 degree heat in the early afternoon.

Keeping up to date with the weather, Carol Ek, a freshman molecular cell biology and physiology major, came to campus ready for the heat.

“I always check my weather app before school so I know what to wear and dress for the occasion to be prepared,” Ek said.

Being such an open campus, shade was a scarcity outside, making it a challenge to avoid direct sunlight walking to class. Students utilized shade from trees, set up hammocks or avoided going outside altogether in attempts to stay cool.

Jeremy Yang, a junior molecular cell biology and physiology major, spent his day under a tree by Fine Arts 2.

“I got [to campus] around 9 and skated to class so I was able to avoid the heat this morning,” Yang said. “But after I posted up here in the shade.”

Although some students were surprised, not all California natives were caught off-guard by the heat. Teresa Arellano, a fourth year psychology major, said she’s dealt with hot weather all of her life.

“I come from the central valley of California so we experience triple digits,” Arellano said. “So I am used to the hot weather, but I hate it and it makes me feel gross and lazy.”

With the heat wave occurring so late in the fall, Anna Reeves, a senior sociology major, attributed the dramatic change to climate change.

“This extreme heat is a testament to the state of our environment and the impact of global warming,” said Reeves.

Today will see a drop in temperature as winds die down, and students will experience cooler weather as the weekend approaches.