Long Beach city council members elected to second terms

Most of Long Beach’s leaders for the next four years were chosen Tuesday as polling places closed at 8 p.m. The final results for the primary nominating election were posted online by the office of the city clerk at 12:56 a.m. Wednesday, after ballots from all polling places were counted. Two of the incumbents will have to run in the general municipal election on June 5. 

The primary nominating elections for the city of Long Beach revealed that most incumbents will remain in office, with only 35,182 ballots counted. To be elected into office without participating in a runoff election, a candidate needs to win at least 51 percent of votes. The following candidates have won more than 50 percent of the counted votes: Mayor Robert Garcia, District 3 Councilwoman Suzie Price; and District 9 Councilman Rex Richardson.

While it initially appeared that District 5 Councilwoman Stacy Mungo would gain a majority of votes in her district and be reelected, she ended up receiving only 48.5 percent of all votes. Her opponent in the runoff election will be Rich Dines, who gained the second highest amount of votes in the fifth district.

In the seventh district, Councilman Roberto Uranga received only 47.9 percent of all votes. He will have to defeat Jared Milrad in the runoff to retain his seat on the city council. Milrad got 31.9 percent of all votes in the seventh district.

This story has been updated.