New program introduces off-campus parking

With only 14,000 parking spaces available for employees, visitors and over 37,000 students attending California State University, Long Beach, parking is a problem many drivers face. But a new program has been implemented to give students another option for parking.

Students received an email on June 26 from Parking and Transportation Services stating their plans to start the Overflow Parking Permit, with sales starting on July 16. The $65 permits will be limited to only 300, which will be sold on a first come first serve basis.

This new permit has been made possible due to a new contract with the Los Altos Gateway Shopping Center. It will give students guaranteed parking spaces as well as free shuttle service to and from campus.

According to a 4-year increase schedule that was released during the 2016/2017 school year, regular permit parking rates for the 2016/2017 school year for students was $123. For the 2017/2018 school year the rates for students will be $130.

The price for the Overflow Parking Permit is less than half the price of the Student Semester Permit. These permit sales will go toward current parking programs, such as shuttles and more. No extra money will be made from this new program, according to an email sent by Jeff Bliss, executive director of media and digital news.

Designated parking will be within the Los Altos Gateway Shopping Center, Monday through Thursday from Aug. 27 to Oct. 18 and will be valid starting on Aug. 19. On-campus parking from Aug. 27 to Oct. 18 will be restricted from Friday to Sunday. After Oct. 18, the overflow parking area will close and permit holders will be able to park on campus locations which are locations designated for students.

Correction: This article previously stated that revenue from sales of the Overflow Parking Permit would be used to pay for electronic vehicle chargers. This is not the case.