Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Our View – L.A. kicking the jalapeño out of taco trucks

For the last week, the mood has been somber and reflective in the Daily Forty-Niner newsroom. Editors and reporters have spent what should be minutes of productivity grieving, sharing and coping with what could be considered the devastation of Los Angeles’ culture – banning taco trucks.

For those tripped up by the last statement, consider Los Angeles does have a very unique culture. It has somehow managed to have been squeezed from our local motley crew of wannabe actors, deadbeat surfers and diasporas of different countries. We may not always see the similarities, but we are bonded in more ways than we think.

For instance, we hate traffic, we think it’s cold when it drops below 65 degrees and we love our taco trucks. Simplistic, but that’s the way we are.

Enter some heartless wannabe politicians – city council members attempting to keep us from our culture and deny us of our rights to eat tacos al pastor from a truck. Come May 15, new regulations will gobble up our taco-eating right.

Catering trucks within Los Angeles’ unincorporated areas (in other words, East L.A.), will now face up to $1,000 in fines or six months in jail if they are parked in one location for more than an hour.

Los Angeles already has restrictions when it comes to meals on wheels. In May 2006, the city council mandated that catering trucks move every 30 minutes or face a fine of $60. It’s questionable as to whether this law was enforced regularly, or if the new one will be, either.

County Supervisor Gloria Molina proposed the stricter regulations to promote what she told Time would create a “better and more livable community.”

The last time we checked, food – and in particular delicious carne asada tacos – was at the heart of living, loving and enjoying life, not to mention the necessary sustenance it provides.

In what is being called a “turf war” between restaurant owners and catering trucks, the new ordinance has been disguised as fairness.

The obvious lower overhead of mobile food keeps prices inexpensive in our tough economy, not to mention that college students can afford the $1.10-$1.45 street tacos.

But there is still the argument in L.A. that taco trucks park in front of established restaurants and siphon away their customers. This argument, however, seems a little, shall we say, exaggerated.

There are many differences between taco trucks and restaurants and they are each perfect for different occasions. One you stand, the other you sit. One is a midnight snack, the other is for dates. One is for after the bar, the other is for before the bar.

With finals approaching, students rely on taco trucks for a mid-study break. Where will we go?

Molina’s desire faces far worse dilemmas than ticketing taco trucks, such as controlling gangs and strengthening the local economy.

The Daily Forty-Niner is pro-taco. Even if we have to chase it down the street, we will be there.