This Week in Cartoons

When I first contemplated working at Chipotle Mexican Grill, the idea of eating free grilled-chicken tacos and veggie bowls with chips and guacamole didn’t sound that bad. Plus, the pay was above minimum wage and it was a decent distance between home and school.

After a few months, I discovered an ugly side of humanity that comes out when people place their orders.

Now, for the most part I can be a very patient person. But if you’ve worked in food service (waiting tables, flipping burgers, etc.), you know that when it comes to food, people forget that the people preparing the food are humans.

Just last week, a woman and her husband walked into Chipotle and ordered two burritos. If you’re a Chipotle fan, you know that rice is automatically splattered on your flour tortilla, unless you specify otherwise beforehand.

As I spread a spoonful of rice, the woman freaked out and screamed, “What’s wrong with you?!? Why didn’t you ask me if I wanted rice?”

I explained that because she didn’t asked for a rice-less burrito, I assumed she loved our cilantro lime rice. My fault. Never assume anything.

“Gee, what’s wrong you?” she yelled again when I began to prepare another burrito.

“There’s nothing wrong with me. What is wrong with you?” I replied.

Bad move.

The woman asked to see my manager and walked away with a free meal.

Now, what’s the moral of this story, and why should you care? I don’t know. But once this semester is over and you go celebrate at your local restaurant, treat the people dealing with your food very nicely.

It’s just the decent human being thing to do.

Or you can behave like the woman. Maybe the people in line behind you will feel so bad they’ll leave really nice tips. Or whatever.

-Julio Salgado

lol Julio Salgado! heard about your legend at lbcc. funny article. so true.

Michael Yee

This is one of the times where i’m ashamed to be the customer and lord so much power over the workers.