Music and journalism help ease high school transition

The change from high school senior to college freshman is definitely a big one. At least it was for me. It took me a few weeks to adjust to the bigger campus, the lecture halls and the longer class periods. But, as I begin my sophomore year, these things have become second nature and I no longer need a map to find my way around campus.

The biggest thing I learned from my freshman year was to get involved in activities that sparked my interest. I knew going to class and doing well was important, but I also knew that if I wanted worthwhile experiences at this university, I would have to get involved. So I got involved with two of my biggest passions: music and journalism.

I joined the Beach Band the first week of school and loved it after performing at my first home volleyball game. Since Cal State Long Beach is pegged as a commuter school, I was pleasantly surprised to see a packed student section at the game.

I also was surprised to see many Long Beach residents in attendance — many of whom were greatly pleased with our performance. Being in the Beach Band taught me much more about this university than I would have learned by just simply attending class. I also met a great bunch of musicians who share the same passion for music as I do.

One of my favorite memories with the band was performing at Downtown Disney for the Battle of the Big West Bands, which takes place during the Big West basketball finals in March. Bands from the Big West Conference schools gather at Downtown Disney and battle it out for the title of best band.

It is hosted by a Disney “referee” and is judged by the audience. I have to say, this event was one of the best band gigs I’ve done. It’s a chance to show off what we can do in a competition setting.

Overall, band for me has been the best way to display school spirit while having a blast at the same time.

For my other passion (and major), journalism, I joined the Daily Forty-Niner staff as the features editor. Here, I met many accomplished people who taught me a lot about the journalism industry. Through my position, I learned tons about the university, its history and its people. As the current diversions editor, I’ve done my time in the newsroom for the summer and am ready to dive head first into fall semester production.

I’ve been told that college marks the first day of the rest of our lives, and that our experiences in college essentially make us who we are. Attending class, completing all the work and doing well is only part of the college equation. It’s what you do with your time outside of the lecture halls that will make all the difference.

You get one chance at this kind of college experience, so it’s best to make the most of it. My advice to all the incoming freshmen is to get involved in your university and, most importantly, stay true to your passions.

Ann Austria is a sophomore journalism major and the diversions editor for the Daily Forty-Niner.