New ASI Pres rings in fall semester

Hello students, and welcome to The Beach! As your student body president I would like to welcome you to a great semester at Cal State Long Beach and encourage you to make the most of your time on campus.

I remember feeling nervous, overwhelmed and lost in the crowd my first week at the university. It’s normal to feel that way, and that’s why I would like to share some resources with you that might make for an easier transition.

Visit a new place on campus, take an Intramural sports and wellness class, come lounge in the University Student Union or join a new club. It’s our campus so let’s take advantage of it.

Many departments of Associated Students Inc. could interest you, but you may not know where to start. If that’s the case, Beach Team is the place for you. It introduces you to various ASI departments — such as the USU Program Council, student government, the Beach Pride Center, our Recycling Center or any of the other departments — and might help you find a place you will enjoy.

For those of you interested in representing students, we will work hard to find a perfect university committee that fits you.

I am excited that students can ride the Long Beach Transit for free during the month of September. The project has been in the works for a while and it is great to see it come to fruition.

One of my major concerns is student safety. Our university leadership works very hard to make this the safest campus possible, adding new streetlights along Atherton Street and Bellflower Boulevard. They will increase student safety and security and, to top it off, they are eco-friendly, consuming nearly one-tenth of the energy as other lights in the city.

The USU is welcoming new additions this year, including Wells Fargo bank, Sbarro Pizza and YoGo Campus Creations. Next week is the annual Week of Welcome and Smorgasport to kick off the official start of the new semester.

Another tradition coming our way is Homecoming. Get ready for all of the Homecoming festivities of 49er Days on November 22. We will celebrate 49er Fever for the first time this semester. During the first 49 days of school, wear your beach gear, and if you spot Prospector Pete and his posse on campus, be sure to grab a game card.

Prizes will even include free tuition for a semester, free parking passes, free laptops, merchandise discounts, food coupons, shirts and much more.

Be sure to check your e-mail for our new monthly e-mail newsletter. One of my biggest goals is to strengthen communication between ASI and the student body. You become a part of ASI when you pay your registration fee and it is your right to know what is going on with your student government.

My feelings of nervousness vanished as soon as I got involved on campus. I hope you will soon feel like a valuable part of our campus family and community — because you are.

Once again, I would like to welcome everybody to The Beach. It’s going to be a fantastic year and I can’t wait for the fun to begin.

Erin Swetland is the ASI president and a senior communications major.

sadfasdf