This Week In Cartoons-No on Proposition 8

As I walked around campus, I came across a poster for KBeach’s “Sex @ The Beach.” The poster depicted the silhouettes of a couple that pretty much described the theme of the show; sexuality.

I must confess that I’m not an avid KBeach listener. For this I apologize to the good people at KBeach because I’m convinced that, much like the Daily Forty-Niner and Union Weekly, our radio station is made up of hardworking students who will have the priceless opportunity of hands-on experience once they graduate from college.

But I digress.

Now, because I’ve never listened to the actual show (I tried my best to find a downloadable version of the show online), I can’t really comment on the content.

What specifically caught my eye was the fact that the couple depicted on the poster was straight.

Unless you walk around in a gay friendly community like downtown Long Beach or West Hollywood, the likelihood of finding an ad depicting a homosexual couple is very slim.

Sure, there are the HIV and STD prevention ads on bus benches throughout Long Beach and other major cities, but when was the last time you saw an ad that depicted a non-straight couple positively? The ads for “Broke Back Mountain” that popped up everywhere two years ago don’t really count anymore!

So when California made history by granting same-sex couples the right to marry, I thought we’d finally made a step up into social acceptance. We finally granted human beings who are attracted to people of their same sex the right to marry.

How righteous of California.

But this right could be taken away on Nov. 4. Backers of Proposition 8 argue that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. According to them, if humans of the same sex are allowed to marry, then the sanctity of marriage as we know it will be over.

Britney Spears can no longer take her “pantyless” self to a wedding chapel in Las Vegas and marry what’s-his-name from the Mickey Mouse Club with the sanctity that she once married what’s-his-name from her high school.

As I browsed through the Let California Ring same sex marriage campaign’s website, I came across the ads that we don’t usually get to see on huge billboards: Gay and transsexual men and women depicted as united families who want to keep their right to get married (insert your preferred gasp here).

Think about the last time you saw a gay couple on campus. Were they freely holding hands? If so, were people staring? Do you know where the Cal State Long Beach Lesbian, Gay Bisexual Transgender center is located? If so, when was the last time you visited?

We want to consider ourselves a community that is open to all, but I don’t think we try hard enough to reach out to others.

Proposition 8 is just another example of the lack of our human acceptance.

So as students of CSULB, let’s do our part to support the LGBT community by voting NO on Proposition 8.

Visit the center, check out LetCaliforniaRing.org or attend the upcoming Sex Positive Week and learn a thing or two about alternative sexual lifestyles.

I trust that Californians know better.

Or whatever.

– Julio Salgado

It’s a shame the selfish and immature sexuality bigots want to go so far as corrupting California’s constitution.

Propostition 8 will pass for sure. Conservatism will prevail in California

this was a great article.

im glad to see that the message is being spread:)

Wandie (co-chair of SPW)

Awesome article!
    And not just because you mentioned Sex Positive Week (but, thanks!)