This Week In Cartoons-Students out-shout crazy loud guy with bad breath

So the crazies were back in town last week.

As I quickly made my way towards the bookstore last week, I once again saw the sign.

In huge bold letters, “mouthy women” and “Catholics” were again on the list of sinners.

By now, most of you know better and avoid the crazy man with the sign and the awful breath (I was standing way too close).

I just can’t help myself, though, and can’t just stand around listening to the retired man’s ongoing rants about the Bible and what it says about gay marriage.

This time around, however, I was petrified at the fact that the former smoker with the bad breath actually seemed civilized compared to the screaming, argumentative students confronting him.

This guy is crazy, no doubt about it. But he’s finally onto something. He knows that by spewing a few hateful words here and there — and letting the students do all the crazy loud talk — he comes off as the sane one.

Girls with veins popping on their foreheads were trying to reason with the guy, but it was useless.

Most of the people who wandered by only stopped because of the attention that these girls were bringing to themselves.

Now, I’m all for standing up against the injustices in this society. Screaming at a crazy man with bad breath doesn’t help much. We end up looking like the crazies.

Instead, how about just walking past without paying any attention to the old man, because what he ultimately wants is a bunch of impressionable college students shouting at him.

Ignore him and, hopefully, the next time it will only be me standing way too close to the old guy with bad breath — trying to make sense of his insanity. Or whatever.

– Julio Salgado