Survival of species relies on belief systems

An article published last month in The New York Times noted Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, as one with “extraordinary insight” and a man who was “ahead of his time.” The article stated that Darwin’s theory of natural selection has become “the bedrock of modern biology” and that scientists to this day are still trying to understand his theories.

Although members of the scientific community hold Darwin’s theories in high respect, one should consider that the effect of the theory of evolution on man’s worldview is bleak. The belief in the fundamentals of our existence is what will dictate the direction of one’s worldview and value system.

Evolution stems from naturalism and claims the origin of life occurred by random chance, and that mankind evolved from other species. The theory pronounces that nature is all there is; removing any need for a divine creator. Humanity is seen as an elevated animal that doesn’t really need morality and ethics. The importance of human life is brought to the same level as animals.

Scientists and philosophers have sought to answer the universal questions of life in an evolutionary mindset. They have come up with answers to explain the creation of the world by looking solely inside our cosmos because in their worldview that is all there is.

By neglecting a creator, life has no purpose and one will do what is ethically and morally right in their eyes. There is no governing set of rules to tell humans what is right or wrong.

William Provine, the professor of biological studies at Cornell University interviewed in the article, asserted his “views on what modern evolutionary biology.”

“There are no gods, no purposes, no goal-directed forces of any kind,” Provine said. “There is no life after death. When I die, I am absolutely certain that I am going to be dead. That’s the end for me. There is no ultimate foundation for ethics, no ultimate meaning to life, and no free will for humans, either.”

When the public school system removed creationism from its curriculum, it did so to remove religion from schools. American schools traded teaching creationism with teaching evolution.

A Gallup poll revealed the majority of those who believe in evolution are ages 18 to 34 and are less likely to be religious. Although many would argue that evolution is solely scientific, in reality, it creates a naturalistic mindset.

Teaching the fundamentals of our existence determines one’s outlook on life as a whole. If one believes that the answers lie within our cosmic world, then one will seek to find the answers to the universal questions of life in nature.

The belief a person holds about origin will determine how they choose to live their life and will mirror their worldview. These beliefs will determine ethics and morals if the person believes they are accountable to a higher being. What we teach in our schools will directly affect our society.

Becky Yeh is a junior journalism major and a columnist for the Daily Forty-Niner.

No, there is not a lot of good evidence for species level evolution. Microevolution, yes. God designed that in when He created species. Becky’s comments about worldview are right on. The vast majority of people I know who hold strong opinions in favor of naturalism and evolution-ism (and typically express them foolishly, like “JYeh” and “You’re an Idiot” have done) are quite ignorant and uneducated on the issues, both scientifically and philisophically. But it’s popular and comfortable to call people names and take on an air of superiority when you are on the side of naturalism, even if you are ignorant. In other words, one can appear “instantly smart” by trashing those who believe God created species, even though it’s a far more reasonable and coherent view than evolution-ism. My advice is not to believe you are so smart. Instead, go get a clue. It takes some work, but you can do it if you are honest.

If you have even studied evolution, or taken Bio 312, then you would understand that the origin of LIFE is an unanswered question (so far). The origin of SPECIES however, has been well supported with physical and historical evidence. Species evolution does not equal the beginning of life. Spirituality is separate from science. Believe in a creator, sure, but don’t refute the evidence supporting the evolution of organisms because you have a problem with atheists. Take the principles of evolution class if you can, then you may see that there is no relationship between religion/moral issues, and true science. I am somewhat ashamed that you have the same last name as me.

we need more writers like you

You're an idiot

If you actually did your research you would see that all animals perform altruisms, not just humans–oh you probaby don’t even know what that words means–LOOK IT UP! There is also a major difference between ETHICS and MORALS, you should look into that too. I’m ashamed that you’re a columnist for the Daily Forty-Niner.
    *Also, how do explain the slutty littl catholic girls? huh?*

GalapagosPete

Even if what you say is true, should we suppress the truth because a lie is more comforting?

“If one believes that the answers lie within our cosmic world, then one will seek to find the answers to the universal questions of life in nature.”

And you consider that “bleak”? A person can’t choose what actions he or she makes based on how it will affect others — only whether or not it falls in accord with “God’s Law”?

This article shows exactly why we need to stop teaching creationsim.