Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

I am sorry, but Ojaala you have gravely taken your Muslim-centric views and injected them in an un-neutral view of the world. In order for the law to have any integrity it must prosecute every individual if a crime has been committed. In this case, the “Irvine 11” did just that: break the law. You have mistakenly blurred the lines between justice and philosophical law principals. 

The First Amendment can only protect the free speech and assembly of individuals if it is done lawfully. The “Irvine 11” broke the law and that is that. Should there be reform in the law is a totally different subject matter. 

When MLK Jr. was put in prison for breaking the law, he even acknowledged he broke the law and that a peaceful protest was the only way to bring attention for change. Turning this into another boring anti-Muslim debate is unbecoming and only hurts your cause. It is a lame excuse if the law clearly was broken, which it was. If you actually read Penal Code 403 and 182 you would agree with me. 

As an American I am pleased the integrity of the law has been continued, because if it weren’t then it would allow chaos. What would you say if a group of Jewish individuals disrupted a Muslim dignitary? I assume you would want them to be prosecuted. 

The problem with your anti-Muslim defense is that it is boring and irrelevant. If anything it makes you look foolish and immature. You should have instead accepted that the law was broken, but that change may be necessary. That is the main problem with the Muslim-Jewish conflict: it is a revolving door of perpetrator vs. victim, which will continue until one side can stand-up and take responsibility for their actions.

Very Respectfully,

DAVID A. ROSE

Undergraduate, College of Health and Human Services

Undergraduate, College of Liberal Arts

California State University, Long Beach