Steroid use in cycling is leading to a decline in interest in the sport

The 99th Tour de France begins Saturday after one of cycling’s most eventful offseasons.

Since last year’s tour, three-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador has been suspended for using steroids and
Lance Armstrong has been accused of doping by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

After being rocked by scandals, it’s time for cycling to get back in the swing of things and show the world that it should be regarded as a premier, clean sport.

I hope that cycling’s “doping era” will not define the current generation of cyclists, as most participating do not engage in drug use.

Many critics of cycling point to the recent doping allegations of Lance Armstrong as a reason why the sport is broken.
Lance Armstrong, as one of the most drug-tested athletes in the history of sports, has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, in their allegation, has not released evidence of Armstrong’s alleged past.

This fact leads me to believe that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency’s case has many holes in it and is overall flawed.

The United States government dropped its case against Amstrong in February, which makes me believe that if the government can’t find Armstrong guilty, then I doubt the Anti-Doping Agency will be able to.

Unless they have direct evidence like in the case of Contador, government organizations should stop accusing athletes of doping, as it is a waste of both time and resources.

Instead of focusing on false doping allegations, the public should focus on what’s most important, this year’s Tour de France.

After a shocking conclusion to last year’s race, more attention should be focused on last year’s champion Cadel Evans.
Andy Schleck, who finished 2nd in the Tour de France in 2011, will not ride in this year’s Tour after a spine injury he suffered at a bike race.

This year’s Tour is anticipated to be just as tantalizing and shocking as last year’s. Bradley Wiggins, from the United Kingdom, is also a pre-race favorite.

In an era where baseball and football dominate, it’s time for cycling to be reborn.

This is the year for cycling to ‘go big or go home.’

If the cycling world is rocked by another doping scandal like Contador’s, I don’t know if the sport will be able to recover.
When MLB spearheaded the steroid investigation in the last few years, the “era of steroids” has ended.

Very few, if any, baseball players test positive for steroids now, thanks to a public awakening and awareness.

If cycling is to survive, its fans will have to demand the truth from the racers, officials and every person involved.

Only then can cycling grow again.

Shane Newell is a sophomore journalism student and the assistant news editor for the Daily 49er.