Ann Curry’s departure from ‘Today’ show had an ulterior motive

Journalism is like any other business, though few seem to realize it. 

Ann Curry’s departure from the ‘Today’ show last week was merely a business move. Nothing more, nothing less.
Many fans of ‘Today’ were shocked last week when they tuned in to see a teary-eyed, red-faced Curry bidding a very emotional farewell to her viewers.

Curry, visibly fraught with emotion, thanked viewers and said she would stay with NBC and still do stories in the future.
Some of the fans watching the telecast flocked to Twitter to express their frustration about losing one of their favorite anchors. The amount of traffic devoted to this topic gained national attention, for no apparent reason whatsoever. Curry, who worked at ‘Today’ for 15 years, had a great career. 

She traveled, interviewed heads of state and was a part of the biggest morning show on American television.

Once ‘Good Morning America’ started to attract more viewers than ‘Today,’ the inevitable hot seat Curry sat on got much warmer. 

The seat got so hot in fact that Curry ended up leaving. 

Curry should be happy that she even got to work on ‘Today’ for a day, let alone 15 years.

Many journalists would sacrifice everything to get on the national spotlight, let alone on a permanent basis.

Whether Curry left because of ratings or not, we will never know. Journalism, like every other industry on Earth, is a business and should be treated as one.

Sometimes people have to be let go, sometimes they don’t. It all depends on the circumstances that apply at the time.

Whether the show’s decision helps the ratings or not, I don’t know. 

Savannah Guthrie, Curry’s replacement, is a well-qualified journalist and has NBC credentials after appearing on the NBC Nightly News and ‘Today’ show numerous times.

Curry’s departure should make the morning news public wake up, literally. 

Viewers should demand much more quality and quantity from their favorite morning shows.

Sadly, shows like ‘Today’ and ‘Good Morning America’ have become stale, out of touch and extremely boring. 

Instead of making the public more informed, American morning shows are making Americans concerned with dumb, trivial matters.

I sincerely hope that Guthrie will change ‘Today’ for the better. As a co-host, maybe Guthrie will champion better news to report on in general. If not, the show can’t get any worse.

The departure of an American morning news anchor should not be news. But because it is, why not rejoice and follow the tweets of people who don’t know anything at all?

Shane Newell is a sophomore journalism student and the assistant news editor for the Daily 49er

Anonymous

IT gained national attention “for no apparent reason whatsoever”? Pelple are boycotting TODAY by the thousands. A business decision is one thing, but the way thigns were handled was inexcusable. Peopoe are boycotting TODAY by the thousands. YODAY is experiencing a PR nightmare. Ann Curry has served TODOAY swith grace, class, dignity and comassion for 16 years, and was part of the team that brought in the highest ratings. Her departure was thandled with NO class, grace, compassionate nor integrity. Not only was she subjected to excruciating publicmumiliation and shame, she ws denied the traditional farewell tribute. News Cheif Steve Capus and other from TODAY have had a week to affress the housands of boycotts, emails phone calls and postings,. They have refused to address this issue; their ratings were down again. I could understand a business decision, but there were so many other ways this could have been handled. Steve Capus, the NEW CHEIF, who had an opportunity to quell anger in the beginning, instead publicly bashed and shamed Ann Curry by complaining that ANn preferred NEWS to cooking, Yes, The NEWS CHIEF had that to say about the reporting of NEWS on a NEWS Show. he ginores us; the outrage grows, the ratings sink. Are there enough reasons for you

Anonymous

I stopped watching the Today Show more and more as Ann Curry recieved more and more face time…..her contibutions to the show were mush….and before that her news reading was terrible…Savanaha Gurthie will be a breath of fresh air…I may even switch from Morning Joe back to Today!

Anonymous

Shane, shame on you, Today suits, made a big error, and should louse everything!!!! I frends and I are going else where, for what they did to Ann Curry. She was real and not a phony as Matt. Now get rid of Matt and bring in that young guy Seacrest.

Further more the way the NBC suits put out the nasty leaks and that head of NBC news guy (Capus), just pushed all of us away…..the other two net works will have our business for sure, Not Today, show.

Get rid of Matt!!!!!

Anonymous

Shane, your lack of credentials, in saying it was “just a business decision” for NBC, is showing Big-Time! Ann is a respected journalist (7 emmys) and a classy human being. Having to announce her own departure from the show was incredibly painful and humiliating. Not the way to treat a “family member” NBC. Leaking the word of her departure was a poor public relations job. NBC needs to realize that we’re bored with the tabloid stories, Matt Lauer, and Today’s Professionals…they’re on constantly! I’m done with the Today Show! I’ll look elsewhere for my morning news.

Anonymous

I won’t watch the Today show anymore. Ann was an asset to that show and maybe they should’ve considered replacing Matt Lauer. I have watched the Today show for over 20 years and am really disappointed with how Ann was treated! And to see Matt act like he had nothing to do with it, seriously……

Anonymous

the writer of this article shows their naivete. I’m DONE with TODAY.
    She waas traded in for a younger woman who exemplifies no diversity. Stale Stale Stale.
    Ann Curry was committed to dealing with global issues and risking her safety to do it.
    Now who else is going to do that?

Anonymous

I’m done with the Today Show and ML’s arrogance. I’ll miss Al, but oh well! Ann deserved better.

Anonymous

Be honest – what Today was looking for was another fluffy, perky, pretty face. Someone who can get excited about cooking segments and bow down to Matt Lauer. So don’t talk about Ms. Guthrie’s journalistic talents.