“Mark and Brian” retirement a loss for quality radio shows

“You had your time, you had the power, you’ve yet to have your finest hour,” wrote Roger Taylor of Queen in 1984.

In Queen’s famous ode (“Radio Ga Ga”), Taylor spoke of his love for the radio and the power of its message: unity.

Sadly, radio lost two of its greatest pioneers: Mark Thompson and Brian Phelps, on Aug. 17.

“Mark and Brian,” as they were known to the nation, hosted a daily radio program on KLOS, which lasted nearly 25 years.
Known for their hilarious antics and unique interviewing style, Mark and Brian were part of many peoples’ daily routines.

Thompson, a 56 year-old Alabama native, announced to fans months ago that he would be leaving the show in August to focus on more important matters in life.

This announcement sent fans into shock, as the thought of losing one of their most beloved friends was too hard to bear.

On their last program, Brian Phelps also announced that he was going to retire, making the final program even harder to listen to.

“Mark and Brian’s” departure from radio has left a void that frankly cannot be filled. In an era when radio seems to be dying a slow, withdrawn death, action needs to be taken.

While the majority of people were too busy focused on their lives, they did not realize that coprorations have poisoned their radio.

Organizations like Cumulus Media and Clear Channel Communications have gobbled up independent stations and local stations have fallen by the wayside and been replaced by new stations that are purely driven by profit.

Mark and Brian’s departure should awaken the radio-listening public to demand the quality of programs over the quantity of cash the executives earn.

Radio, unlike the Internet, is inherently personal. The bond between a disc jockey and listener is that of close friends.

Unlike the Internet and TV, radio forces listeners to use something that they often don’t: imagination. Radio takes listeners to far away places, both mentally and physically, and is free to everyone.

If the quality of radio continues to spiral downwards, a part of society will die. Radio and print journalism are the only two forms of media that do not focus on instant gratification.

Radio invites the listener in, instead of screaming at viewers like the TV and Internet.

Maybe Roger Taylor of Queen was wrong, as there is a chance that radio has already seen its finest hour.

I don’t think so. “Radio: someone still loves you.”

Shane Newell is a sophomore journalism student and the assistant city editor for the Daily 49er.