The Republican National Convention is unbearable to watch

People in their right mind know that the Republican Party, or “Grand Old Party” as its known to its blindly loyal followers, is in shambles.

A party that has no backbone and seems to only be concerned with letting the rich get richer is circling the drain after its announcement of who would speak at the dreaded Republican National Convention.

John Boehner, the sobbing Speaker of the House, spoke Tuesday night. In his speech, Boehner asked, “Where are the jobs?”

This phrase struck me in two different ways.

First, I was proud that Boehner didn’t say “Where is the jobs?” because such a Pulitzer Prize-winning statement would guarantee a two-term presidency.

Second, I was astonished to hear that Boehner hasn’t looked at a job report in his life.

If he did, he’d know that Obama saved this country from the brink.

Tuesday night also saw the ever-crazy and frankly creepy Rick Santorum speak.

Santorum, once a front-running candidate, spoke so ineloquently that I couldn’t help but laugh.

Santorum told the convention audience that Romney would stop the “assault on marriage” and “lower taxes.”

In a nation that is devastated by unemployment, why is stopping the so-called “assault on marriage” a priority?

Marriage isn’t that perfect of a union, since nearly half of all couples divorce. Marriage, 0, Santorum, 0.

Just lowering taxes won’t solve much either. Santorum was merely spitting out another Republican “talking point.”

Part of Santorum’s final words had him say that the Republican Party will “reach out with hands of love to all of God’s children.”

Just once, can I please hear a conservative speech that doesn’t mention or allude to abortion?

That debate was settled last century in Roe v. Wade.

It’s time for the Republicans to wake up and focus on modern-day issues, like the global exportation of jobs and how the richest Americans continue to reap the benefits of the backs of the ever-decreasing middle class.

Watching the Republican National Convention made me content with the fact that I don’t belong to a political party. Pledging allegiance to any “party” is absolutely ridiculous.

Let’s make this clear, there is a difference between conservatism and Republicanism. Republicans are blind, ignorant, mindless people who are focused solely on having more material possessions.

Conservatives believe in ideals, conservative ideals albeit, but do not believe in any person wearing a red suit.

If the Republican Party is to regain its old stature, it must rename itself. To what name you ask? The Grandiose Old Out-of-Touch party. Nice touch, I know.

Shane Newell is a sophomore journalism student and the assistant city news editor for the Daily 49er.