Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the Editor: Vote “no” on Prop. 30 for future interest

Vote “no” on Prop. 30 for future interest
With Proposition 30, every Californian is being targeted by Sacramento politicians to pay higher taxes. Prop. 30 will increase the state sales tax, already the highest state sales tax in the nation. On top of that, personal income taxes will go up on upper income individuals, many of whom are the owners of the small business that provide the bulk of the jobs in our state. Even without this change, California has the second highest income tax rates in the nation.

The politicians are trying to pry more money from your pocket by saying the money is for education. But, the California School Boards Association says there will be no new money for schools if Prop. 30 passes. Although Jerry Brown says he will cut funding to higher education if he does not get the Prop. 30 revenue, Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, a UC Regent and a CSU Trustee, says that Brown’s threat of rising tuition costs is “just not true.”

No matter who you believe, the fact is California already ranks fourth highest in the nation in per capita tax burden. If Prop. 30 passes, even more business will leave the state, taking with them jobs – jobs that might otherwise be available to new college graduates. Students who plan to remain in California would be wise to vote no on Prop. 30.

John Suttie is on the Board of Directors for Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association.