Record Store Day keeps the music industry alive and well

Vinyl fans can rejoice. After another successful “Record Store Day,” audiophiles throughout the United States should be proud of their noble efforts to save a dying industry.

On Friday, fans gathered at record stores nationwide to participate in “Record Store Day.” The event is designed to promote record sales by offering limited quantities of rare albums or singles that fans often wait hours in line to get.

As a frequent visitor of Record Store Day, I can say that its intentions are good. Waiting in line for hours while talking about great music with complete strangers is a truly enjoyable experience.

Record Store Day is enticing for music fans since the content released is usually quite rare and limited to 5,000 copies or less. The content often includes live cuts of famous tracks or rare demos, as in the case of Pete Townshend’s “Quadrophenia” demos.

Since its inception in 2008, Record Store Day has brought widespread attention to local record stores, the only shops that can participate. Record stores that were once the lynchpin of musical knowledge have increasingly gained more respect and profit via Record Store Day.

The fact that electronic giants like Best Buy and Target cannot participate in Record Store Day is a sign welcomed by music enthusiasts everywhere. The day is meant to revive the music industry.

In addition to promoting local record stores, Record Store Day has also succeeded in urging the public to support artists financially, rather than advocate illegal downloading.

The profits made on Record Store Day support all aspects of the music industry. Profits go to the artists who deserve financial compensation.

True audiophiles realize that illegal downloading has crippled the music industry as of late. People who refuse to pay for music for whatever reason have crippled something that many used to hold sacred.

Record Store Day is doing its part by promoting local artists, the music industry and local record stores. Music needs to be saved, and Record Store Day is doing its part.

Above all, the day seeks to educate. In today’s time, there exists a large number of people who have never heard or played a vinyl record.

The vinyl technology, deemed “old-fashioned” and “out-dated” by many, has experienced nothing short of a resurrection in years past.

More and more young people throughout the nation are learning about music and the importance that vinyl once played.

Instead of being so focused on instant gratification and “free” everything, how about our generation stands up, empties its pockets and enjoys itself for a little while?

For there truly is nothing better than a great vinyl record and a group of friends to listen to it with.

Shane Newell is a sophomore journalism major and an assistant city editor for the Daily 49er.