Taking a photograph should not outweigh saving someone’s life

It’s easy to put a price on a sensational photograph, but it’s much harder to put a price on a human life.

Last week in New York City, Ki Suk Han, a 58-year-old husband and father, died after being pushed onto the subway tracks by 30-year-old Naeem Davis after an alleged argument between the two.

Davis, according to USA Today, was “high on drugs and trying [to] combat voices in his head.”

In the moments before Han’s death, New York Post freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi took photos of the event, with one captioned “DOOMED” that appeared on the cover of Tuesday’s edition of the NYP.

While I acknowledge that Abbasi had the right to sell his photograph of Han holding onto the subway platform moments before his death, I disagree with his decision morally.

The New York Post, often known for its scandalizing headlines and titillating photos, should be ashamed of itself for purchasing Abbasi’s photo of Han. The “DOOMED” photograph of Han served no useful purpose, other than to sell papers.

If the photo had any inkling of importance, then I would support its publication. Since it was only used to attract the casual and loyal reader audiences, I staunchly oppose it.

In addition to publishing the photo, I disagree with Abbasi’s decision to not help Han.

Instead of using the flash on his camera to warn the oncoming train, Abbasi should have dropped his camera and attempted to pull Han from the edge. According to an article from Forbes.com, Abbasi had approximately 22 seconds to reach Han and attempt to save his life. Unfortunately, neither Abbasi nor anyone in the crowd attempted to save Han, resulting in his unfortunate death.

What has modern society turned into? Is everyone afraid to risk their lives to help out a fellow human being?

I acknowledge that Abbasi was likely in a state of shock. No one truly knows what they will do in a state of shock, though I hope that the average person would at least try to help out a defenseless victim. What happened happened. Unfortuantely, Han will not get a second chance at life.

Though I wish someone could have tried to help Han, I realize that even if they did, there is a possibility that Han could not have been saved.

Regardless, I pose this question: If you were in the same situation as Abassi, what would weigh more? Your conscience or the camera around your neck?

Shane Newell is a sophomore journalism major and an assistant city editor for the Daily 49er.