Obama’s State of the Union should resonate with most Americans

Love him or hate him, you have to admit that President Barack Obama is quite possibly the most eloquent, well-spoken president since John F. Kennedy.

In his annual State of the Union Address, Obama highlighted his grand vision for the nation, which included raising the minimum wage, reducing the national deficit and eliminating gun violence.

In a tone that exuded both confidence and calm, Obama began his speech talking about what improvements the U.S. has made since this time last year.

According to Obama, the U.S. has added six million new jobs since the recession hit nearly four years ago, a major morality boost under his watch.

While discussing what needs to be done regarding the deficit, Obama criticized “some in this Congress” for proposing education and entitlement cuts.

It is clear in his conviction and tone that Obama is ready to battle the Republicans on the subject of budget cuts.

Throughout his speech, Obama’s use of logical arguments and facts clearly set him apart from his partners across the aisle.

After discussing the economy and middle class for a great deal of time, Obama began talking about the current state of Afghanistan and the threat of al-Qaeda in Africa.

“America’s commitment to a unified and sovereign Afghanistan will endure, but the nature of our commitment will change,” Obama said.

Despite saying that American troop numbers will be reduced in Afghanistan soon, Obama’s words came across as very George W. Bush-like.

Phrases like “extremist groups” and “9/11” permeated the middle part of Obama’s speech, making him sound just as hell-bent on war as his predecessor.

While I understood and respected Obama’s stance on global affairs, I couldn’t have disagreed more.

“We will need to help countries like Yemen, Libya and Somalia provide for their own security,” Obama said.

Unbeknownst to him, Obama came across as a president obsessed with intervening in any nation that is plagued by terrorists or al-Qaeda.

While I acknowledge that intervention is sometimes necessary, the bold claim to send help to Yemen, Libya and Somalia unilaterally is not only a waste of tax-dollars but also time.
The highlight of Obama’s speech, undoubtedly, came towards the end when he spoke of gun violence.

In a moment that seemed to slow down and freeze time, Obama spoke of a 15-year-old Chicago girl who was shot to death just weeks after appearing at his Inauguration in Washington, D.C.

Obama spoke of the dire need to discuss gun violence and urged his colleagues to debate the matter immediately.

Like Kennedy before him, it is very possible that Obama’s words will resonate deeply with today’s generations and future generations to come.

Shane Newell is a sophomore journalism major and an assistant city editor for The Daily 49er.