Our View: Low-income people need access to cell phones

Most students cannot imagine living without their cell phones; however, there are still people who go without a cell phone every day, which is why California is going to offer cell phones and service to people living in poverty.

Based on a federal program from the 1980s that provided discounted landline phone service to low-income citizens, the new program aims to keep those living in poverty connected.

The new program will give people living below the poverty line a chance to apply for free cell phones and service. While some low-income individuals already have cell phones, they have problems keeping them working and filled with available minutes.

There are many reasons why it is a good idea to offer cell phones to low-income Californians.

First, it is nearly impossible to get a job if you do not have some sort of line of communication through which an employer may reach you. You cannot expect them to sit next a pay phone all day – if they can even find one.

When citizens fall into poverty, it is oftentimes hard for them to get out. If the state has the opportunity to help those living below the poverty line to get their heads above water, it is a worthy investment, especially if the investment is as easy as giving out something as readily available as a cell phone.

Also, cell phones are ridiculously cheap to produce now. The state wouldn’t be handing out iPhones, so it wouldn’t be too much of a burden to roll out some working cell phones and minutes to qualifying citizens. In doing so, the state could boost the economy and hopefully improve the unemployment rate.

Besides contacting employers, having a cell phone will allow low-income citizens to communicate with their families or, in the case of emergencies, call 911.

Can you imagine witnessing or being in an accident and not being able to call for help? Making communication available to everyone could save some lives.

There is concern that the free service will be abused by freeloaders. While there will be a limit on the number of minutes people can use, there is no way to monitor what people will be using their cell phones for primarily.

While it would be tough to weed out the abusers of the system, the Daily 49er editorial boars thinks the majority will be appreciative of having the opportunity to receive a free cell phone. Many of us now have had a phone in our pockets or purses for as long as we can remember. Even when we accidentally leave our cell phones at home for one day, we feel disconnected.

It makes sense to not deprive the rest of the population of the main way we communicate.