Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the Editor: A message from Jonathon Bolin

A message from Jonathon Bolin

Win or lose in this election, John Haberstroh and I have stayed true to our message: real student representation. We have not lowered ourselves to giving out “free” compliments, hotdogs, showing ourselves with squirrels, using puppies to win votes, etc.

However effective these tactics may prove, they have nothing to do with forwarding a message of student representation or portraying a model of leadership; instead, these tactics prove the obvious: others need to hide behind squirrels or puppies because they are not strong enough to stand alone.

Even our “silly” posters still convey a message. Our “body builder” poster is fun yet still conveys the message that we do not need to don suits in every poster because in the end, we are still students; we do not need to play dress-up in suits to convince others of our “importance.”

I am happy to see that everyone caught on to our ideas of “silly” posters, taking paycuts for the students and planning to reach out to the general students, but how genuine is it all?

The paycut was never meant to be a means to get elected but instead a means to help students in need.

What John and I created last year may have spiraled out of control, but from chaos comes order, and no matter who gets elected, all will be well within ASI. We may take a step or two back, but all will be well.
All in all, this campaign season has been one for the books, but in the end, I am glad it is over. Win or lose, we have kept true to ourselves, and in the end, that is what counts.

I only want to represent the students for one more year, and if I lose, I lose. I already had the amazing opportunity to serve in this position once, and for that I am extremely grateful. I just hope whoever gets elected truly puts the general students first and continues what John and I have started: a new ASI.

Jonathon Bolin is a senior history and religious studies major.