Editorials, Opinions

Our View: North Korea’s threats should be taken seriously

There doesn’t seem to be any time for peace. With North Korea conducting its third nuclear test in February and issuing constant threats against the U.S. and its territories and allies, North Korea has become a global annoyance.

Led by Kim Jung Un, the spawn of the country’s former madman Kim Jong Il, the North Korean population has been brainwashed to believe that the U.S. is responsible for their hardships. According to North Korean propaganda, the country’s poverty, lack of food and lack of freedom is at the fault of the U.S. and its allies.

There seems to be a new threat coming from North Korea every day. The threats usually allude to a potential nuclear test; to bombimg South Korea, Japan or the U.S. territory Guam; or even to firing a warhead that could reach the West Coast of the U.S.

The Pentagon said intelligence suggests that North Korea does not have a missile that could reach the U.S., but our country needs to be worried about North Korea striking one of our territories or allies. A move like this could push us to the brink of war.

The United Nations has placed sanctions on North Korea for its actions; however, this has only angered North Korea more.

But even China, an ally of North Korea, seems fed up with the country’s antics. In a speech made over the weekend, China’s president, Xi Jinping, said that no country “should be allowed to throw a region and even the whole world into chaos for selfish gain.”

While not specifically naming North Korea, Xi was hinting that China does not support the continuing threats from the nation. China, like the rest of the world, does not want to fall into another massive war because a country run by a young dictator is looking to flex his muscles.

The Daily 49er editorial board was eased by China’s recent remarks in regards to its ally North Korea. In the end, China serves as the bigger threat to our nation, not North Korea.

However, this does not mean we can ignore North Korea. Every threat North Korea makes should be taken seriously because there is a massive number of innocent lives at stake.

While North Korea has been making threats against the U.S. for years, its threats have never come to fruition. But the inexperience of the young Kim could lead the country to finally act upon the many empty threats it has made in the past. Our government isn’t looking to sit down and talk to North Korea to iron things. Why should our leaders make an effort if North Korea keeps acting like a child and refusing to adhere to any sort of peace?

It’s obvious former NBA player Dennis Rodman didn’t make any diplomatic progress when he visited North Korea. If any serious talks are to be done, North Korea will need to settle down and talk with President Barack Obama. This, however, is highly unlikely.