Rush’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction is well past due

It’s about time, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

After being eligible for induction since 1998, Canadian rock band Rush joined Randy Newman, Quincy Jones, Heart and others as the 2013 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Though their influence on rock music may not be as evident as bands like The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, Rush may very well be the most important of the Hall of Fame’s 279 members.

Despite impressive record sales of more than 40 million, Rush has been dubbed as the world’s most popular “cult” band of all time by its fans, leading many to question why a band of Rush’s caliber has only recently been accepted by the public.

Since the modern lineup of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart formed in 1974, members of the press have continuously demonized Rush.

Comparing lead singer and bass player Lee’s high voice to a squirrel being chased by a blowtorch and naming drummer Peart the second worst lyricist of all time are but a few complaints that have been directed at Rush.

Through all the criticism, Rush persisted by making innovative records, releasing several albums before breaking through with 1976’s “2112” and 1981’s “Moving Pictures,” featuring iconic hits like “Tom Sawyer,” “YYZ” and “Red Barchetta.”

Despite having “Moving Pictures” go four-times platinum in the U.S., Rush continued to face its naysayers.

Instead of identifying itself to one particular scene like new wave or hard rock, Rush continued to adapt its sound and released the ultimate fusion of guitars and keyboards in 1985’s “Power Windows.”

For the next two and half decades, Rush changed its sound, moving away from synths and into the upper echelons of hard rock.

Though it’s difficult to point to the exact moment when Rush became popular, many fans cite the band’s 2007 appearance on “The Colbert Report” as a turning point.

Their appearance on Stephen Colbert’s show, as well as being the subjects of a 2010 documentary called “Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage,” helped elevate the band into the public’s consciousness.

It hasn’t always been cool to like Rush, especially when the band wore silk kimonos in the past.

After nearly 40 years of evolving musically and never conforming to the status quo, Rush is the perfect embodiment of what rock music is about.
Ignoring the critics for their entire career, Rush continues to make music that inspires generations and artists like Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Breaking all the rules, sticking it to the man and remaining true to themselves through it all, Rush is more than just a band – it’s an legacy.

Shane Newell is a sophomore journalism major and an assistant city editor for the Daily 49er.