Gun Control: Gun control protects citizens’ rights to life

The perception of gun control is distorted to the point that many people are unaware of what it actually entails.

How many people are going to purchase an AK-47 with armor-piercing bullets for a legitimate purpose, such as home protection or personal protection?

Other guns that are being targeted are similar in nature. While the idea of gun control is intended to protect individuals’ lives and property, it does not protect the individuals’ rights, as established within the Constitution.

The laws that have been written regarding purchases of weapons are not as enforceable as most people believe.
When one state’s gun-purchasing laws are overridden by another state’s laws, then it is time for the federal government to step in and create a federal law that will override all state laws.

This will give a unity to the laws regarding gun purchasing, such as what can be purchased and by whom.

In some states, an individual only needs three days to apply for a purchase and be granted a gun.

Is it possible in this technologically advanced era for a full and complete background check of an individual to be completed within three days?

No.

Background checks have significant limitations. Law enforcement agencies refer to the fact that they can find out who you are quickly and in some cases, almost instantly.

This is also misinformation for the general public. The truth of the matter is that not all law enforcement agencies are subscribers to the specific databases that use that technology.

For example, if you are in a small town in a rural area, more than likely the law enforcement agency in the local community does not have these services due to lack of funding. This effectively creates an inevitable hole in which the necessary data escapes. An individual could apply for and receive a gun within three days, leave the area, commit a crime and return to that locale without being detected. This is a prime example of why there needs to be a federal gun control practice and law established.

Granted, this will not protect the individuals’ rights to purchase weapons; however, it will protect the rights of other individuals to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
What is more important?

Edith Kahrs is a senior journalism major.