Americans must work together to achieve nation’s former glory

Let’s face it: America isn’t what it used to be.

The U.S. that boldly declared its independence, created a model democratic government and fought against some of the world’s greatest atrocities no longer exists.

Instead, we are left with a country that is plagued by political deadlock, crippled by a stagnant economy and the owner of the world’s largest amount of debt.

The problems, unfortunately, get worse.

In the past few decades, the U.S. has consistently ranked below where it should be in the areas of education, health care and economic freedom.

As the nation’s birthday approaches, the time to implement change is now.

It comes as no shock that in order to have a healthy democracy, a nation must have an active citizenry.

In last year’s presidential election, only 61.8 percent of eligible Americans voted, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

How can a democracy function properly if not even two-thirds of its citizens cast a vote once every four years?

Instead of casting blame on politicians, inactive citizens have no one to blame but themselves.

In a country where we directly elect our representatives, senators and president, any vote — whether it’s for a mainstream candidate or not — makes a difference.

In addition to voting, citizens must be educated.

Education and literacy, areas in which the U.S. has lagged behind considerably in recent years, are vitally important to an active citizenry.

In a report from British education giant Pearson, the U.S. ranked 17th in cognitive skills and educational attainment.

Moreover, the high school graduation rate in the U.S. in 2010 was only 78.2 percent, according to Reuters.

If all of our children are not well educated or informed, what will become of America’s future?

Along with our lags in voting and education, community service is also an area in which the U.S. has performed poorly.

According to the Corporation for National and Community Service, only 26.8 percent of Americans volunteered in 2011.

If barely one-fourth of Americans volunteered for charitable causes in 2011, how can we call ourselves a great, charitable nation?

Through many other worldwide rankings and comparisons, it is clear that the U.S. is far behind where it should be.

By increasing voter turnout, better educating our youth and developing a stronger sense of community, the U.S. may one day reach its past fame and glory.

Democracy, contrary to what some may think, is not for the idle, shy or selfish. Reaping democracy’s benefits requires active citizens.

Let’s make America great again and restore pride in this once mighty nation.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor of the Daily 49er.