Alex Rodriguez’s challenge against MLB is good for baseball

Aug. 5, 2013, will go down as one the most important days in Major League Baseball history.

On Monday, New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was suspended by MLB officials for 211 games on the basis of his role and involvement in the Biogenesis steroids scandal.

In addition to Rodriguez, 12 other baseball players were suspended for 50 games each for their roles in alleged steroid use.

Some of these names include Texas Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz and Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, according to ESPN.

Understandably, Monday’s suspensions have angered many baseball fans.

Rodriguez’s unpopular decision to appeal his 211-game suspension has equally angered some who believe he should accept his suspension and move on.

Although Rodriguez’s actions have disgraced the game of baseball, he should be entitled to appeal his suspension and be presented with the evidence the league has against him.

According to USA Today, Rodriguez will be allowed to view and challenge the evidence against him under the MLB’s collective bargaining and joint drug agreements.

Despite what some may think, Rodriguez should be allowed to postpone or even eliminate his suspension.

Although he admitted to steroid use in 2009, Rodriguez should see the evidence used against him.

Under the MLB’s newest drug policy, a player who tests positive for banned substances is suspended for 50 games.

The MLB needs to prove to Rodriguez that his first suspension under its drug policy is worthy of 211 missed games instead of 50.

Before the MLB announced Rodriguez’s suspension, there were rumors that MLB Commissioner Bud Selig wanted to suspend Rodriguez for life.

A life-suspension, as many fans had hoped for, would have been unjust and unprecedented.

It is clear that the MLB has improved baseball by more strictly enforcing the use of steroids and banned substance.

To use Rodriguez as a scapegoat, however, is cowardly.

The MLB should allow Rodriguez due process in his appeal and prove its case with the utmost precision and accuracy.

Failure to do so could tarnish the league’s already damaged reputation.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor of the Daily 49er.