Decision to cast Peter Capaldi in ‘Doctor Who’ is well-intentioned

The world’s longest running sci-fi television program, “Doctor Who,” is facing a great deal of criticism after its decision to cast 55-year-old Scottish actor Peter Capaldi as the 12th incarnation of the Doctor.

Critics from Rolling Stone and The Atlantic magazines have expressed disagreement with executive producer Steven Moffat’s decision to cast Capaldi.

Calls to cast a female doctor or one of minority descent have dominated Internet headlines since Saturday’s big announcement.

Despite what many critics have said, Moffat’s decision to cast a white Scottish male, Capaldi, is by no means a sexist or racist act.

Instead of marginalizing women or minorities, Moffat has done the exact opposite in his tenure at the BBC.

Since he became executive producer of “Doctor Who” in 2010, Moffat has successfully elevated the roles of female actresses like Karen Gillan and Alex Kingston.

When he took over in 2010, Moffatt oversaw the 11th incarnation of the Doctor, Matt Smith. In accordance with the show’s tradition, Smith was given a companion in Gillan.

As Amy Pond, Gillan portrayed an intelligent, strong-willed and self-confident companion who was never held back by her gender.

Under Moffat’s tenure, episodes like “Amy’s Choice” and “Vincent And The Doctor” have highlighted Pond’s strength as a character and role model for girls and young women around the world.

Thankfully, Moffat oversaw Pond’s growth and development and ensured that her character would not be the stereotypical weak-willed, lackadaisical sidekick.

In addition, Moffat created two strong, well-developed lesbian characters in “The Hungry Earth” and “Cold Blood.”

Appointing a minority or female doctor — or perhaps a minority female — would strengthen the show’s diversity.

Since Peter Capaldi will be the 12th white English male to portray the Doctor, it is clear that a change would broaden the show’s reach and popularity.

To argue that it is absolutely essential to pick a non-white actor, however, is missing the point.

For years, “Doctor Who” has ardently supported females, minorities and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

By not picking a minority or female, Moffat in no way reduced the roles of women or minorities in “Doctor Who.”

Many who criticize Moffat’s decision have failed to see the error in their assumptions.

In the almost 800 episodes of “Doctor Who,” the central messages of the show have always revolved around the character’s actions and thoughts.

“Doctor Who” is a show that explores the human condition and examines the problems we face on a day-to-day basis.

Sex and race aren’t issues or hindrances in the “Doctor Who” universe.

A show like “Doctor Who” should be criticized for its characters and actions, not for the gender and race of its protagonist.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor of the Daily 49er.