Former Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow should play in the NFL

One of the most recognizable and popular quarterbacks in the NFL is now without a job.

After a dismal preseason performance, the New England Patriots released the often-controversial quarterback Tim Tebow on Saturday, according to ESPN.

Following his release, Tebow tweeted, “I would like to thank … the entire Patriots organization for giving me the opportunity to be part of such a classy organization.”

While his future may not rest with the Patriots, it’s clear that Tebow’s on- and off-the-field skills make him an NFL-caliber starting quarterback.

Whether a team signs Tebow before the season begins is unlikely. It is clear that much of what is stopping Tebow’s growth in the league is overhype and unfounded criticism.

One of the major criticisms leveled against Tebow is that he can’t pass well.

Former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason turned heads in August 2011 when he said, “He can’t play. He can’t throw. What (former Denver Broncos coach) Josh McDaniel saw in him God only knows,” according to Yahoo Sports.

ESPN analyst Merril Hoge complemented Esiason’s comments by calling Tebow a “phony” in December 2012, according to ESPN.

Once one begins to analyze Tebow’s stats, however, it is apparent that many of his critics like Esiason and Hoge are mistaken.

According to ESPN, Tebow’s career NFL stats include 2,422 passing yards with 17 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Tebow further complemented his stats by rushing for 989 yards and 12 touchdowns.

How many starting NFL quarterbacks boast similar numbers?

In Cleveland, Browns starting quarterback Brandon Weeden threw 14 touchdowns and 17 interceptions last year. He complemented his dismal season by committing six fumbles as well, according to ESPN.

Jacksonville Jaguars starting quarterback Blaine Gabbert has also struggled.

In 25 games, Gabbert has thrown 21 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. Like Weeden, Gabbert is fumble-prone with nine fumbles since 2011, according to ESPN.

Critics of Tebow’s performance should take a closer look at Weeden and Gabbert before saying he doesn’t have a place in the NFL.

Another complaint leveled against Tebow is that he upsets locker rooms.

In November 2012, NFL.com reported that several of Tebow’s New York Jets teammates critiqued him in the New York Daily News.

“We don’t look at him as a quarterback,” an unnamed player said to New York Daily News.

While it can be universally agreed upon that Tebow is no Tom Brady, it’s clear that Tebow is deserving of a starting quarterback job in the NFL.

Give him a chance to shine. Last time someone checked, Tebow has more playoff victories than Peyton Manning does in Denver.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor of the Daily 49er.