NASCAR cheating scandal ruins a once-famous sport’s credibility

Actions at Saturday’s NASCAR race in Richmond, Va., have permanently cast a dark shadow on the sport.

On Monday, NASCAR officials fined the Michael Waltrip Racing team $300,000 for manipulating the outcome of Saturday’s race.

According to ESPN, a late spinout and questionable pit stops led officials to speculate that Michael Waltrip Racing was somehow implicated in stopping Ryan Newman from making NASCAR’s version of the postseason.

If a large fine wasn’t enough for Michael Waltrip Racing, NASCAR officials went further by taking Martin Truex Jr. — the driver who benefited from his team’s questionable antics — out of the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

Truex was replaced by Newman, according to ESPN.

“We penalize to not have this happen again,” NASCAR President Mike Helton said to ESPN. “It’s a message from the league saying, ‘You can’t do this.’”

NASCAR’s decision to come down hard on Michael Waltrip Racing cannot make up for the crime that was committed.

The cheating situation came to light on Saturday after Ryan Newman lost the race at Richmond International Raceway.

Newman, who had previously led the race, lost after one of Michael Waltrip Racing’s drivers, Clint Bowyer, spun out, according to ESPN.

What made the spinout unusual was the recorded in-car conversation between Bowyer and his team.

“Is your arm starting to hurt? I bet it’s hot in there. Itch it,” Bowyer’s crew chief said, according to USA Today. Following the statement, Bowyer mysteriously spun out.

Although Bowyer’s conversation with his crew chief was part of the reason for the suspension, a conversation with fellow teammate Brian Vickers was the “smoking gun.”

According to ESPN, Vickers’ crew member promised him a kiss after asking Vickers to pit unexpectedly.

It was Vickers’ uncertainty about the situation, according to Helton, that led to the penalties.

In all, Bowyer was allowed to keep his spot in the Chase, although he was docked 50 points, according to ESPN. Vickers was also docked 50 points for his actions.

Although he did not directly participate in the events that led to his getting into the postseason, Truex was ultimately kicked out of the Chase.

As a fan, it is extremely disconcerting to see how Michael Waltrip Racing let down fans of a once-great sport.

No matter how many times members of the Michael Waltrip Team apologize, nothing can be done to rectify the situation.

Spinning out a driver is one thing. Conspiring to launch a teammate into the Chase by cheating is another.

Moving forward, it is important that NASCAR officials continue to investigate suspicious activity like the events that transpired in Saturday’s race.

Although this cheating incident was contained, there’s a chance that many other instances like it have gone unnoticed.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor at the Daily 49er.