Space shuttle anniversary should prompt interest in exploration

Tomorrow will mark the 37th anniversary of the first space shuttle “Enterprise.”

Named after the fictional spaceship piloted by the “Star Trek” crew, the “Enterprise” was the catalyst for decades of space travel and scientific discovery.

Although the “Enterprise” and space shuttle program are long gone, the desire and need to bring it back is high.

By providing highly skilled jobs, scientific discoveries and entertainment for the masses, the space shuttle program is one of the best investments the U.S. can make.

According to a 2012 CBS News article, approximately 7,000 workers were laid off following the end of the shuttle program.

The employees, including crane operators and other skilled workers, were part of the thousands who called Kennedy Space Center home.

In addition, NASA hired other skilled workers, including astronauts and scientists, to complete the actual missions.

In addition to providing jobs, the space shuttle program also brought one of the most awe-inspiring telescopes to the masses.

According to an article from NASA’s website, the Hubble Space Telescope’s success was directly linked to its ability to be serviced by humans in low-Earth orbit.

Without the space shuttle, Hubble would not have been able to survive.

In addition to its contribution to America’s workforce and scientific progress, the space shuttle system also provided one of the purest forms of entertainment.

Watching the space shuttle launch from Kennedy Space Center in Merrit Island, Fla., or elsewhere in the U.S. was a captivating event for many Americans.

Although support for the space shuttle program still exists, some have raised concerns about the program’s cost-effectiveness.

According to an article from Forbes.com, the space shuttle program cost approximately $450 million for each of its 135 missions.

Yes, the cost of sending Americans into space is expensive. However, the economic, scientific and emotional benefits far trump the cost.

Although a government-funded space program may not return anytime soon, one can always hope.

The final frontier awaits.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor at the Daily 49er.