John Lennon birthday anniversary should prompt remembrance

Although it has been more than four decades since his untimely and tragic death, the legacy and life of John Lennon continue to live on.

Tomorrow marks what would have been the former Beatle and rock superstar’s 73rd birthday.

On the eve of Oct. 9, we should recognize the musical contributions Lennon gave to the world.

Born to merchant seaman Alfred Lennon and mother Julia Lennon in Liverpool, England, young John grew up in what many considered a less-than-ideal childhood.

After losing his mother at age 17, John Lennon pushed on with The Quarrymen, a band that featured future Beatles Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

Following the band’s temporary move to Hamburg, Germany, John Lennon and his band mates struck it big as The Beatles in 1962 with the single “Love Me Do.”

The rest of their career was all but a brief point on rock music’s timeline.

From 1963 to 1970, John Lennon and The Beatles released 13 studio albums including such famous ones as “Abbey Road” and “Revolver.”

After the Beatles disbanded in 1970, Lennon continued with his solo career and released seven studio albums before his murder on Dec. 8, 1980.

Such hits as “Imagine” and “Stand By Me” cemented the solo Beatle as one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all-time.

While one can discuss John Lennon’s musical contributions for ages, it is important to determine what made him so special

What features did John Lennon have that set him apart from nearly all other musicians in his lifetime?

Put simply, John Lennon was the first songwriter, along with fellow Beatle Paul McCartney, to masterfully blend rock melodies and insightful lyrics.

John Lennon possessed a wisdom that was beyond his age.

The songs he co-wrote and sang were much more sophisticated than other music from the same time period.

At 24, John Lennon sang on “In My Life” from the Beatles’ folk-rock “Rubber Soul” album.

“Though I know I’ll never lose affection for people and things that went before,” John Lennon sang, “I know I’ll often stop and think about them.”

John Lennon’s song-writing ability was further highlighted on “God,” a song from his 1970 debut solo album.

“God is a concept by which we measure our pain,” John Lennon sang. “I don’t believe in Jesus. I don’t believe in Beatles. I just believe in me.”

Yes, John Lennon was a magnificent writer. More important than his lyrics, however, was his ability to touch other people’s lives.

More famous songs like “All You Need Is Love” and “Help!” helped bring people together.

Songs written by John Lennon and McCartney soon became the soundtrack to millions of people’s lives.

According to USA Today, The Beatles have sold approximately 600 million albums worldwide since 1962. John Lennon’s solo records have also sold millions more.

Whether one is a fan of his work, one cannot deny the impact he made on many of our lives.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor at the Daily 49er.