Obama should reconsider widespread use of military drones

A pair of human rights organizations alleged the U.S. has not been entirely forthcoming about the actual number of civilians killed by military drone strikes, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Research data from Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch appears to indicate that some of the drone strikes were illegal under international law.

“The tragedy is that drone aircraft deployed by the USA over Pakistan now instill the same kind of fear in the people of the tribal areas that was once associated only with al Qaeda,” the Amnesty International report said.

In addition, the reports allege that the number of actual civilian deaths is far higher than numbers reported by the U.S.

If these accusations prove to be true, then it is vital that the U.S. re-examines the scope and magnitude of its drone policy.

Killing known enemy combatants who are actively engaged against the U.S. is one thing. Killing civilians who mean no harm is another.

As one might expect, this isn’t the first time the military drone program has drawn negative attention.

Controversy arose in 2011 when a drone strike killed U.S.-born Anwar al-Awlaki in Yemen.

According to CBS News, al-Awlaki was a jihadist who created numerous propaganda videos against the U.S.

Although the U.S. believed it had the authority to kill al-Awlaki, the facts of the case suggest otherwise.

What made al-Awlaki’s situation different from other jihadists was that he was born in the U.S.

According to CBS News, at the time of his death, al-Awlaki had not been charged with any crimes.

How could the U.S. government have justified killing an American who had not been charged with any crimes?

Yes, al-Awlaki’s advocacy of jihad against the U.S. was deplorable. Since he did not commit a crime, however, the act of killing him was completely unjustified.

To order the death of an American in a foreign country requires a high burden of proof. Whether the U.S. had such proof remains unknown.

In addition to the killing of al-Awlaki, drones have also been responsible for the deaths of innocent civilians.

United Nations Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and Counterterrorism Ben Emerson estimated that U.S. drone strikes have killed at least 400 civilians since 2002, according to CBS News.

Accidentally killing 400 innocent civilians in drone strikes cannot be justified.

While drones may be welcome for some, it’s clear their presence has cast a dark shadow on U.S. foreign policy.

The newly released drone reports should prompt President Barack Obama to reconsider his approval of the drone program.

As any other piece of technology, drones should be used responsibly.

Instead of being used solely as weapons, drones should be used as tools to help the U.S. better achieve its missions abroad.

Let’s hope the Obama administration takes a fresh look at a program that is embroiled in murky legal territory.

The lives of innocent civilians depend on it.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor at the Daily 49er.