Former President John F. Kennedy revolutionized TV debates

Friday marks the 50th anniversary of the assassination of former President John F. Kennedy.

Although he was in office for less than three years, the impact Kennedy had on the American political system was immeasurable.

One of Kennedy’s most significant contributions to politics arose from the 1960 presidential debates.

By using the medium of television to enhance his candidacy, Kennedy inspired future presidential candidates to take seriously the importance of looking sharp and calm during televised debates.

Kennedy and his Republican opponent, then-Vice President Richard Nixon, squared off in several debates on television in late 1960.

In the first nationally televised presidential debate on Sept. 26, 1960, Americans had the opportunity see both candidates as they appeared.

As one might expect, Kennedy appeared dashing in his well-tailored suit and a tan to go with it. Nixon, on the other hand, appeared thin and sweaty following his recent trip to the hospital.

According to CNN, Nixon refused to wear makeup offered to him by CBS. Instead, makeup artists put LazyShave on Nixon’s face, which was designed to get rid of his five o’clock shadow.

In addition to his gaunt and pale look, Nixon suffered tremendously from fidgeting throughout the debate.

When Nixon stood at the podium, viewers could see him constantly shift his weight between his legs.

Instead of standing straight and upright like Kennedy, Nixon appeared decrepit and old-fashioned.

A highlight of the debate occurred when Kennedy sharply criticized Nixon and his party.

“It is a fact that through most of these last 25 years, the Republican leadership has opposed federal aid for education and medical care for the aging,” Kennedy said.

Even when he had the opportunity to speak after Kennedy, Nixon appeared to recite his words without passion or exuberance.

Although it remains debatable who actually won the debate, it’s clear Kennedy had the upper hand by appearing more youthful and lively than Nixon.

The debates of 1960 forever changed the way Americans learned about political candidates and their campaigns.

On radio, it was impossible to discern the body or facial movements of political candidates.

On television, one could see a politician sweat, smirk or appear nervous.

Without his success in the nationally televised debates, it’s uncertain whether Kennedy would have won the presidency.

As the anniversary of his assassination approaches, it’s important to remember how Kennedy revolutionized politics.

The election of 1960 and its reverberations will likely resonate for many years to come.

For better or worse, Kennedy’s masterful use of the television debates to his advantage proved that the medium is more important than the message.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor at the Daily 49er.