Band Aid anniversary highlights music’s ability to give to charity

The word “supergroup” can’t even begin to describe the musical talent that came together on Nov. 25, 1984 to record Band Aid’s charity single, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”

Co-written by Bob Geldof of The Boomtown Rats and Midge Ure of Ultravox, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” was the first attempt by members of the music industry to directly raise funds for famine in Ethiopia.

Featuring performances from artists like Sting, Bono and Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” painfully highlighted the struggle in Ethiopia and urged listeners to donate to famine relief.

One of the song’s most stinging lyrics came from U2 frontman, Bono.

“And the Christmas bells that ring there / Are the clanging chimes of doom / Well tonight thank God it’s them instead of you,” Bono famously sang.

The recording of “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” beautifully showed how artists can come together to work for the common good.

While watching the music video that accompanied the charity single, it’s easily apparent that none of the artists expected financial compensation for their musical contributions.

By donating their time and energy to help publicize one of the world’s largest humanitarian crises, the artists in Band Aid fully committed themselves to the cause.

In addition to raising much-needed funds, Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” laid the groundwork for the most famous charity concert ever held, “Live Aid.”

Also organized by Geldof, “Live Aid” raised nearly 30 million British pounds for starvation victims in Africa, according to the BBC.

For one, both the band and event highlighted music’s ability to affect people’s lives.

Cynics of pop music and its artists could no longer levy criticism after the success of Band Aid and Live Aid.

Without Band Aid and Live Aid, the famine in Ethiopia could have gone largely unseen by the American and British public.

In the future, one can hope others in the music industry will continue to use their spotlight to cast darkness out of the distant parts of the world.

Modern bands, like Linkin Park, are continuing Band Aid’s tradition by raising money for those who are less fortunate.

It’s good to see the tradition continue.

Shane Newell is a junior journalism major and the opinions editor at the Daily 49er.