US youth should recognize Nelson Mandela’s world contributions

One of the world’s most influential leaders has died: Nelson Mandela.

It is extremely sad that a majority of young people in the U.S. know little about the extraordinary things that Mandela did in his long life.

Mandela helped to free and liberate South Africa from apartheid.

Apartheid, also known as institutionalized racism, was practiced by white European colonials in South Africa.

Because he was opposed to apartheid rule, Mandela was charged with treason and originally sent to Pretoria Local Prison, according to Nelsonmandela.org.

It wasn’t until Feb. 11, 1990 that he was released.

Four years later, he became the nation’s first black president, triumphing the once-dominant racism in South Africa.

Even though Mandela helped revolutionize South Africa, few young people remember his contributions.

In today’s time, young people are more interested in pop-culture and the clothes celebrities are wearing.

In the days after his death, Mandela’s pictures are floating around social media with his quotes on them.

But do people understand what those words mean?

It seems as though young people are continually learning less about world leaders and their contributions.

Mandela believed that all people have the potential to be great by observing their own actions.

He helped to pave the way for President Barack Obama to claim the world’s most powerful title.

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear but the triumph over it,” Mandela said. “The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid but he who conquers that fear.”

Mandela’s unique perspective on the world  is enough to help fuel this generation in a positive way.

One can hope that young people will mourn Mandela’s death and try to emulate him by doing good in the world.

Mandela’s contribution to helping better the lives of millions has left a major impact on the world. We should all remember his legacy in the days after his death.

Kimberly Pruitt is a junior journalism major and a contributing writer at the Daily 49er.

Today, I went to the beach front with my children.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She
    put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it
    pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell
    someone!