Delta Lambda Phi fraternity is accepting of all CSULB students

This is a warning to all students at Cal State Long Beach: the brothers of Delta Lambda Phi have come across a magical lavender tulip that converts heterosexuals into homosexuals.

Insider sources say that the gay Greek organizations’ main targets are the Greek organizations. What a travesty!

The Rho chapter of Delta Lambda Phi has been encouraging flawlessness since 1990. It’s baffling that for more than two decades, some Greek organizations have chosen to not affiliate with Delta Lambda Phi.

We usually receive this sentiment from fraternities, and it is based on the fact that we are a “gay” Greek organization.

Delta Lambda Phi is a progressive social fraternity. The purpose of its existence is to provide a space for gay, bisexual and progressive men within the Greek system.

When stereotypes about gay men are reinforced, that defeats the whole purpose of Delta Lambda Phi.

Yes, we are attracted to men, but that does not mean we are extremely promiscuous. We do not have a secret agenda to convert straight men.

All we do in our meetings is eat, sing gospel music and spread love to the world. The other Greek organizations are totally missing out. Who would not want to sing “Shout to the Lord” while chewing on a turkey leg with the brothers of Delta Lambda Phi?

The fact that these stereotypes exists just sucks. When we wear our fraternity letters, they turn into scarlet letters.

What students should know about our organization is that we break down stereotypes.

A stereotype that we hear is that we are all into performing drag. That could not be further from the truth.

Out of all of the 14 active brothers we have in our chapter, only one does drag as a hobby.

Another stereotype is that our fraternity is interested in only lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues and affairs. This is also not true.

While we do love our community, we reach out to a variety of organizations that need volunteers. Last year, our philanthropy was The Sunshine Kids, a nonprofit organization dedicated to kids with cancer.

We work just as hard as the other Greek organizations. We know how to network, plan and coordinate events and maintain a healthy brotherhood.

The only difference between our organization and other Greek organizations is that we are gay.

This is not a big deal. It’s like comparing deodorants: each brand is different, but they all have the same purpose.

If other Greek organizations take the time to know who we are and what we stand for, then those stereotypes will be erased. This will advance our purpose to make a change. We will move one step closer to living in a society where sexual identity is not judged, especially in the Greek system.

Delta Lambda Phi is grateful to all of the Greek organizations that have taken time to socialize and cooperate with us.

We all joined a Greek organization because we wanted a “Greek life” experience during our time at college.

The Greek organizations and students should take the time to get to know the brothers of Delta Lambda Phi and help make a difference.

Forget the stereotypes, and make a new gay friend today.

We are willing to have socials, and do not worry: we have no magical lavender tulip that can change a person’s sexuality.

There’s nothing to fear — embrace the queer.

David Espindola is a junior journalism major and contributing writer at the Daily 49er.

Mike Wang "Schwangau"

I am a CSULB student. I am taking courses at CSULB, online (BeachBoard). I like to get accepted to our CSULB Delta Lambda Phi fraternity. I want to help. Let me know. Thanks.