Hoffman’s tragic, untimely death leaves wandering questions

To only call Philip Seymour Hoffman an actor would miss the point entirely — he was so much more.

More than an Academy Award-winning actor, Hoffman was a partner, brother, son and father. His untimely death of an apparent drug overdose at age 46 is tragic enough to bring up the discussion on how addiction can profoundly affect and shape our lives.

I remember first seeing Hoffman act when I was around 11 years old. Although he had a small role in the Academy-Award winning “Scent of a Woman,” I was struck by the magnetism and intensity he brought to life on the screen.

Hoffman was not your average run-of-the-mill actor. With every acting role, he brought a freshness that overwhelmed the audiences’ senses. He commanded every scene he starred in, whether he was playing a pompous American disc jockey in “Pirate Radio” or an enigmatic cult leader in “The Master.”

I confess I’ve probably only seen a third of his work over the years. Of the films I have seen, however, a uniqueness exists that will live long after his death. Not many can forget his roles in “The Big Lebowski” or “A Late Quartet?”

The American public may not have been aware that Hoffman was one of the finest actors of this generation. I cannot think of many actors who dared play and excel at such a variety of roles.

My heart immediately sank after hearing of his death. I wonder what his three children and partner of 15 years, Mimi O’Donnell, must be going through right now. Surely, their loss cannot be quantified in words.

If his death is indeed confirmed to be that of a drug overdose, I hope those who are addicted to heroin take a look at Hoffman and his life.

Maybe he was down on his luck. Maybe he had had a bad week. Regardless of the circumstances preceding the apparent overdose, his death can only serve to inspire those who are currently addicted. Drugs are dangerous and their use leads only to a red light.

It’s hard to think that he’s not coming back. It was just the other day that he inked a deal with Showtime to start a new television show.

One good thing that can come out of his death is an examination of the marvelous work he left behind. As long as there is a movie player and a screen to project his films, Hoffman will still be alive.

Thinking about his life, I am reminded of how members of Hollywood’s elite are still people like us. We all have our good and bad days. We share moments of joy and lament in moments of pain in our brief existence.

Here’s to shedding off your mortal coil, Hoffman. May your future, whatever it may be, shine bright.