Suspected American terrorists may face death penalty

If you are an American citizen suspected of planning or committing terrorist acts, watch out.

Last week, the Associated Press broke a story detailing how President Barack Obama’s administration is considering whether or not to kill an American citizen suspected of plotting terrorist attacks against the U.S.

What is complicating the matter is that the yet-to-be-named American suspect resides in Pakistan, a country that does not condone U.S. military activity, according to the New York Times.

Since direct military intervention in Pakistan is out of the question, officials are debating whether or not to use a lethal drone strike against the American citizen.

Although international terrorism is one of the biggest threats facing the U.S. today, the notion of killing an American citizen suspected of terrorism without a trial from his peers is utterly deplorable.

There are many issues plaguing the Obama administration’s case against the unknown American citizen.

First, the Obama administration has failed to show evidence proving that the American citizen is guilty of plotting terrorist attacks against the U.S.

How can one be found guilty of an alleged crime if evidence is not presented?

Shouldn’t the unidentified American be found guilty in a court of law before authorizing a strike to end his life?

Acting on hunches is not enough. For a strike to be absolutely necessary, the Obama administration needs to conclusively prove that killing the American is the only logical solution.

Another issue concerning the Obama administration’s case is the sovereignty of Pakistan.

Shouldn’t Pakistan be able to tell the U.S. that drone strikes on its soil are out of the question?

If Pakistan were harboring a known terrorist who has been found guilty of plotting attacks against the U.S., the conversation would shift in the favor of the U.S.

But that is not the case here.

If the U.S. ultimately decides to kill the American citizen without attempting to give him a trial, a precedent will undoubtedly be set giving the government authority to kill Americans suspected of heinous crimes on U.S. soil.

What if the U.S. believes one of its own citizens on U.S. soil is complicit in a terrorist crime?

Would the government have the right to launch a lethal drone strike in a place like Kansas?

Clearly, this issue is very complex.

Before deciding the fate of the American suspect’s life, the Obama administration should exhaust all other options first.

Killing an American without public evidence or a trial would only seek to disrespect the ideals that so many men and women have fought and died for since 1776.

After all, you can’t be called a traitor if you haven’t been found guilty of treason in court.