Obama administration new hire is a good move

Following the many problems with the healthcare.gov website, such as the numerous crashes and technological set backs, the Obama administration is trying it’s best to fix the website and save the Affordable Care Act, which depends heavily on the effectiveness of the website. But one of the biggest changes is the replacement of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, the office that is most responsible for the Act.

After the failures of the website to meet expectations and the incessant criticism of the Affordable Care Act, former Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius officially resigned from her position a week after the deadline for registration to the online health insurance marketplace, according to Business Insider.

Sebelious over saw the initial roll out of the Affordable Care act and the healthcare.gov website, and took most of the criticism from politicians and pundits after the website failed to meet it’s enrollment expectations.

Following her resignation, it was announced that White House budget director Sylvia Burwell would be Obama’s pick to fill Sebelius’ shoes and take over the future implementation of the Affordable Care Act, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Obama’s choice of Burwell is both a smart and strategic political move. A new, young and capable face behind the Affordable Care Act could serve as a symbol to both Democrats ad Republicans that this is a fresh start.

Burwell’s experience dates back to the Clinton administration, where she served in numerous different positions related to budget matters, treasury issues, and negotiations with the Republican Party.

Burwell also helped to design the federal budgets that helped create the Clinton Administration surpluses, according to the Business Insider and Wall Street Journal. Before Burwell joined the Obama Administration, she served at high profile positions for large philanthropies such as The Wal-Mart Foundation and the Gates Foundation for several years, according to NBC News.

With such an impressive background, President Obama may feel that Burwell could apply her skills and talents in philanthropic work to government to increase the number of people who enroll for the Affordable Care Act while ensuring quality care.

Her financial experience in the Clinton administration may prove applicable to the incoming money that will be generated as more people enroll. Such large funds will have to be properly allocated and focused in the right direction. Since Burwell helped to create the Clinton Administration surplus, she may be able to put those skills toward the Affordable Health Care Act to maximize the effectiveness of the funds.

Burwell’s history of confronting Republicans over budget issues may also be another reason why she was chosen. Republicans may try to use the initial failure of HealthCare.gov as a tool against Democrats in the upcoming Congressional elections this fall. Burwell’s experience with negotiation and confrontation may prove to be an invaluable tool in the fall congressional elections as Republicans try to use the shortcoming of the Affordable Care Act to their political advantage.

Despite the initial failures of the Affordable Health Care Act, the Obama administration will continue to push on until there is success. As of now, Burwell is definitely qualified to take the seat of Secretary of Health and Human Services and take control of the Affordable Health Care Act. However, only time will tell if Burwell can save the Act, or if it is too broken to fix, as Republicans claim.