Response to ‘Mind The Gap’

On March 25 and 26, we, the Catholic Newman Club hosted the Genocide Awareness Project or G.A.P. Our purpose was to start a conversation with students about human life and how abortion treats it. We had a lot of great conversations, and we want to share some of our comments.
Many students questioned our use of gruesome images of aborted babies. We agree that they are offensive images, but only because they show the offensive reality of abortion. The images are showing what abortion really is.
Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “People will not reject racism until they see racism.” We hold the same ideas about abortion. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s niece has also been quoted saying, “People will not reject abortion until they see abortion.”
We were also questioned about the comparisons we drew between abortion, genocide and slavery. At the root of all genocide is the denial of the humanity of a group of people. In Nazi Germany, Jewish people were portrayed as sub-human. The language used to refer to them was also changed. They were never called people, but some other term.
This allowed discrimination against them to be enshrined in law. In a similar way, many people use terms like “fetus” or “clump of cells” in order to deny the value and status of the preborn. The same principle is also evident when looking at slavery and Jim Crow laws in the U.S. By denying the humanity of human beings, it became OK to abuse and kill people based on the superficial characteristic of skin color. In a similar way, it is now legal to kill a group of human beings based on their age and level of development.
We view the prevalence of abortion as the saddest reality of our time. Since Roe vs. Wade, 56 million babies have been aborted just in the United States alone. Every day, Planned Parenthoods across the country provide the “service” of aborting roughly 3,600 babies. Abortion is the taking of an innocent human life. At conception, a full and unique set of human DNA is created.
This human being grows, taking in water and nutrients like any other person. At 3 weeks, a heartbeat can be heard. After 5 weeks, brain waves can be detected. This is a human life that is deserving of love and protection like any other person.
Building a culture of life does not stop at ending abortion. It requires supporting mothers throughout their pregnancy and afterwards.
We were proud to have a crisis pregnancy center, Birth Choice Health Clinic, tabling with us. They provide free health services to pregnant women right here in Long Beach.
We know many students do not agree with our position on abortion. We were happy to see a few of our fellow students advocating opposing ideas. CSU Long Beach is the marketplace of ideas and civilized debate is a great source of information. However, we were disappointed their signs told students to ignore us or “Do not engage” with us.
If truth and reason were on their side, they would have welcomed discussion. However, they advocated ignorance. Issues of abortion, life, and death are vitally important.
After careful consideration of all viewpoints, we can make informed decisions. We hope all students will research human development and abortion so they can arrive at a well thought position.