Judge Masipa got the Pistorius Verdict Right

On Thursday, Sept. 10, 2014, Oscar Pistorius, the South African paralympian who shot and killed his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day last year, was found not guilty for premeditated murder; though, he was found “negligent” in the killing.

South African judge Thokozile Masipa concluded that the evidence presented to the court was entirely circumstantial; furthermore, statements made by witnesses could not be distinguished as being actual evidence or statements that the witnesses heard in the media.

Judge Masipa stated that “human beings are fallible,” and she concluded that witness testimony could not be trusted.

Furthermore, a one-month hiatus occurred due to a court-mandated psychological analysis of Pistorius. It was discovered that he was suffering from an anxiety disorder.

The trial was a gigantic mess. Many South Africans are shocked by the verdict and many are assuming that an appeal is the next step.

On a personal level, I believe that Judge Masipa got it right. The night that Pistorius shot and killed his girlfriend was on Valentine’s Day in 2013. At this time, the area in which Pistorius was residing in was experiencing a fair amount of home break-ins.

South Africa has a long history of a crime epidemic. There is a very high rape, burglary, assault and overall violence rate in South Africa. Pistorius, a prominent, white male was a target for criminals. He had a multi-million dollar home, was a paralympian and had more money that most people in his region.

Pistorius might have been excessively paranoid when he decided to purchase a closet full of guns, ranging from pistols to automatic-machine guns. But he felt it as a type of protection to himself. The immediate area he was living in was safe, but surrounding area, not too far from him was not.

The bottom line is: Pistorius killed his girlfriend when he willingly pulled a weapon and shot it at his bathroom door. The question that the court system in South Africa had to answer was whether it was premeditated murder. Did Pistorius know that it was his girlfriend, and not an intruder, behind that bathroom door the night he willingly shot at it with a gun? Judge Masipa’s verdict answers this question with a “no.” As of now, Judge Masipa did conclude that Pistorius is not guilty of premeditated murder, but he was negligent in all of this—so a punishment for Pistorius will still ensue.