It is important to study abroad

As students, there are many obstacles in the way of exploring and experiencing the world beyond our immediate boundaries. The time constraints that come with trying to complete a degree and the lack of lucrative funding due to our meager jobs definitely don’t make it easy.

Many times, we find it easier to become complacent with the idea that we will simply “save it all for later,” but what we are actually doing is voluntarily opting out of some of the most exciting, educational and life-altering opportunities we can have.

As college students, we are still in the early stages of life: many of us have no binding responsibilities, such as children or a career. We are still young and thriving with energy, enabling us to withstand all-nighters and uninterrupted activity. Although we might think that traveling outside of the country, or even within the states, is out of our grasp, the extra time and effort spent on procuring your first trip will pay off immensely.

The first reason why traveling as a student can be more beneficial than as an adult is because we, as students, are already engaged in a life of learning. Because we are old enough to grasp unfamiliar concepts yet young enough to still maintain an open mind, attempting to understand foreign cultures now will have the most profound effects on us throughout the rest of our lives.

The statistics support the means for a more travel-oriented, cultured student body. Every year since 1975, the amount of students participating in study abroad has increased by 12 percent, according to BBC Travel. Even Harvard Business School, starting in 2012, has begun to send its entire class of 900 students overseas to work and study as part of its Global Immersion Program.

The fact that Harvard places so much importance on studying abroad emphasizes the beneficial impact that such experiences can have on students.

Although it’s counterintuitive, the fact that we don’t have as much money as we would in the future will allow us to gain more valuable insights during our journeys. Because of our inability to afford the comforts that amenities like a nice hotel room can provide, we are forced to engage with the locals and gain an authentic experience.

Through the use of youth hostels, public transportation and the kindness of strangers, we are placed amongst the locals in a position to learn more about their way of life.

One of the biggest reasons why traveling young holds advantages is the simple fact that it is possible to physically do more. Thanks to our young bodies, we can explore the city by day, experience the nightlife until the wee hours of the morning, wake up the next day and do it all over again.

Because of our stamina, it is definitely possible to see a whole city in two or three days, get a condensed taste of the culture in four to five, and then take the train or a flight to the next destination. Fewer days in an area means less money spent, something that you won’t be able to get away with in your 40s or 50s.

Aside from the obvious educational benefits, studying abroad sets the stage for an endless amount of priceless memories. What better time to let yourself loose in a foreign country than when you’re young? Traveling consists of many different elements, and the stories of romance, adventure, people and places that can be experienced will stick with you for a lifetime.

Besides, when you’re in a foreign country with a group of fellow students who all have the same goal in mind (to have as much fun as possible), it’s pretty hard not to try some new things and have some unforgettable nights.

If studying abroad during the fall or spring isn’t all that feasible, then summer sessions are always available and range anywhere from three weeks to two months (although I wouldn’t recommend going anywhere for less than six weeks).

College is a very important period in our growth and will be a major determining factor in how successful we become later in life. Although studying abroad can be seen as a stretch for some, it is an experience that won’t be regretted.