More states should legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes

Following in the footsteps of Colorado and Washington, Alaska, Oregon and the District of Columbia legalized marijuana this month through the ballot process. And come 2016, five to 10 other states will likely consider full-on legalization, including California (which has already decriminalized marijuana for recreational purposes and legalized medical marijuana). Does this momentum mean that medicinal marijuana will be legalized on the national scale? Not necessarily, but one can hope.

Within the last two years, three separate clinical trials offered compelling evidence that medical marijuana can safely and effectively relieve what is known as a neuropathic pain – pain caused by damage to the nerves. The pain is most common in illnesses such as Multiple Sclerosis, HIV/AIDS and diabetes.

Neuropathic pain is incredibly difficult to subdue and is notorious for resisting conventional pain drugs, including highly addictive narcotics. According to the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), “In all three studies conducted by the University of California under a state program funded over a decade ago, marijuana provided meaningful relief with remarkably few side effects.”

Many critics are worried about the safety of marijuana; however, marijuana is arguably one of the safest drugs on the market, especially when compared to the alternatives. The American Public Health Association (APHA) endorsed legal access to the drug back in 1995 explaining that, “Cannabis/marijuana has been used medicinally for centuries… marijuana has an extremely wide acute margin of safety for use under medical supervision and cannot cause lethal reactions.”

The APHA continued and noted that, “greater harm is caused by the legal consequences of its prohibition than possible risks of medicinal use.”

What the opposition won’t admit is that since medical marijuana has been legalized in 23 of the 50 states, the prevalence of teen marijuana use has consistently decreased.

A recent study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health analyzed data compiled from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Youth Risk Behavioral Survey spanning a period of 20 years; it compared anonymous, self-reported rates of use in states that have legalized medical marijuana with states that have a policy of complete prohibition. It found that there were “no statistically significant differences in marijuana use before and after policy change for any state pairing.”

The key to legalizing medical marijuana is to have strict controls and safeguards. Of the 12 states that approved marijuana for medicinal purposes some time ago, California included, many have restrictions and steps to take before patients can receive their “medicine.” Not just any kid off the street can walk into their local marijuana dispensary and score some marijuana.

In order to be granted medicinal marijuana, a patron must be registered and posses an identification card, which proves to law enforcement that they are legally eligible. Furthermore, there are strict limitations as to how much one can purchase of the drug per visit. Finally there is a zero tolerance for the public use of marijuana, or use while driving. Any violation of these limitations can result in repossession of the identification card, stiff penalties and even jail time.

Marijuana carries a bad reputation, which makes it difficult to see the drug as a cure for medical conditions. However, lawmakers must realize that marijuana can provide an effective and safer alternative to many of the other commonly prescribed medications, which include highly addictive narcotics.

Marijuana can be useful for a wide range of medical conditions, including muscle spasms caused by multiple sclerosis and nausea from cancer chemotherapy. Additionally, it can help with poor appetite and weight loss caused by chronic illness such as HIV, chronic pain, stress, seizure disorders and Crohn’s disease.

Therefore, doctors should have a great deal of latitude when prescribing marijuana, and lawmakers should legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes in any of the states that haven’t been wise enough to do so already.

mmj should be allowed in every state, a lot of people would benefit from quality products rather than blood weed from mexico . government should repeal prohibition and take the war to the border and also shut down all private prisons .we are people not commodities for financial gain!!!!!!!!!!!!