The Bush and Clinton dynasties are at it again in the 2016 presidential race

Did your parents ever say you could be anything you wanted when you grew up, even president? Well, if your last name happens to be Clinton or Bush, your chances are high.

If and when former first lady and Secretary of State Hilary Clinton and former Florida Governor “Jeb” Bush decide to officially enter the 2016 presidential race, it will mark the fourth instance during the past five election cycles in which a Bush and a Clinton vie for the presidency.

Our last presidential election in 2012 was the first time since 1984 that the names Bush and Clinton failed to appear at the same time on the presidential ballot.

During a time when it seems many Americans are more capable of naming American Idol contestants than presidential hopefuls, it should come as no surprise to see these two very recognizable names, and family political dynasties, become early frontrunners for their respective parties and the 2016 presidency before they’ve even declared that they will run.

We must question the status of America’s psyche, which allows two families to continue to seize our hopes, dreams and votes in a nation with more than 300 million people.

These last names have evolved into major political brands, making it much easier for voters to identify with them and potentially making voters less aware of other presidential candidates. During the grand and expensive marketing scheme that is political campaigning, name-recognition can be priceless.

Some say that such famous surnames may ultimately hinder more than help.

Bush has his brother George’s legacy to contend with – just two terms removed from departing office with an approval rating in the low 30 percentile, according to Gallup polls. The Clinton brand must retool from a failed presidential bid in 2008, and carefully dodge the memories of former President Bill Clinton’s scandalous past.

“There are also burdens that come from these franchises,” David Axelrod, President Obama’s former chief strategist told The Washington Post on Dec. 16, 2014. “You’re not a brand-new car. Even if someone else puts the dings in it, you’re still driving it.”

However, the millions of dollars that the two titans will throw around during their campaigns are sure to help make these cars look brand new as both have strong ties to deep-pocketed donors, their own political action committees and family loyalists.

The Koch brothers, kings of conservative donors, recently announced their intentions to spend $889 million dollars on the 2016 presidential race.

Even Bush matriarch and former first lady Barbara Bush has found it odd that Americans seem so drawn to the two families.

“If we can’t find more than two or three families to run for high office, that’s silly,” Barbara Bush said in an interview with C-SPAN in early 2014.

Are we becoming lazy or comfortable with what is familiar? Or do we truly believe that these two families embody the ideals of competing American politics over the past three decades. Do we even notice?

So when these two familiar faces finally announce their intentions – and there is little doubt that both will be running for president in 2016 – remember that America is more than just these two names; push through the onslaught of marketing and advertising.

Do your research and due diligence as an American citizen and find out which candidate truly represents you, no matter what their last name is.

Blake Pinto is a junior majoring in Journalism.