College senior do’s and dont’s for graduation apparel

It’s a day that all college students anxiously await. A day filled with celebration for students because they have completed their higher education. This day is simply known as graduation, but for some students, it’s more like Milan fashion week.

Girls often wear dresses with high inch heels while the boys wear formal clothing as well, including ties and collared shirts. Everyone is dressed to impress, even though their graduation gowns cover up the outfits. Besides that, the ceremonies last a full eight hours.

Here are some tips for the California State University, Long Beach graduates that will make them not only look good, but feel comfortable as well.

First, we will start off with the guys, who sometimes wear a three-piece suit to graduation. Graduation takes place outside, and with summer approaching, it might be scorching hot.

So, a simple button up shirt would be just fine. No one will notice what type of blazer a graduate is wearing, nor could they if they wanted to, since the gown covers almost all the upper half of the body. Ditch the jacket and wear a simple button up.

If you’re interested in standing out, forget the boring old tie and go with a bow tie. The bow tie will stick out since the gown won’t cover the neck area. Make sure it isn’t too small or large. If it looks like it came from the hood of a brand new car, it might be too big.

The gown leaves the lower half of your legs exposed. Because of this, slacks might be the best way to go. Nothing sticks out more than a guy wearing blue jeans under their gown. It gives off the impression that the graduate doesn’t care. Graduating from college is a serious deal, so start dressing like it.

Ladies often dress up for special occasions. Graduation is no different, but some of their decisions are questionable.

I don’t care if those heels will make you look taller or if they compliment your dress, ditch them. Instead of heels go with flats. The last thing you want to do is trip in front of your peers. Avoid the potential embarrassment and go with flats. No only are they the safer option, but they also look and feel more comfortable. Be careful on what footwear you decide to wear.

As for attire, it’s the perfect time of year to wear sundresses. Don’t overdo it by wearing what could be your prom dress. Not only could you trip, but someone could step on your dress and potentially tear it. This is especially the case if they are wearing daggers — I mean high-heels — on their feet. Dressing nice but simple will go a long way.

Just a reminder, a typical college graduation ceremony lasts hours. You have to sit through long speeches and wait until each and every person’s name is called. Do yourself a favor and keep that in mind while deciding on your outfit.